From: Martin Monsorno <monsorno-nospam@gmx.de>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: problem with bbdb whitelist filtering
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:53:15 +0100	[thread overview]

Ted,

thanks for your help.  I try to explain the problem more detailed and
hope that you can clear up some points then.

So my configuration may not be as spam.el is supposed to be used, but
I thought it work anyway: the idea was the following when splitting
mail:
- Split mails that are considered not to be spam, i.e. mails of
  mailing-lists, into several folders, without letting spam.el see
  them.
- All the remaining mail should then be checked, if the sender is in
  the BBDB.  I use spam.el for this, by inserting the fancy split rule
  (: spam-split) after the mailing-list splits, and setting
  spam-use-BBDB to t - this is the only spam-checking rule I
  activated.  I expected spam.el now to do the following:
    for every mail in the list
      if the sender is in the BBDB,
        add a header 'X-Spammer: white: From:  Pit <peter.paul@mary.de>'
      if not,
          do nothing
  I don't want spam.el to do anything more with the mail.  No more
  extraordinary intelligent spam checks, no moving of mails.  Just
  insert the header, and let my mail splitting go further.
- The following split rules should then use the inserted header to
  move the messages to several groups depending on several rules, and
  the messages without this header to different groups.

I suppose, step 2 is the critical one.  I really do not know if
spam.el just inserts a header if it finds mail to be clean.  But it
seems to work in most of the cases.  The problem is: sometime such a
header is inserted into mails of senders that are _not_ in the bbdb.
And it seems, that this happens, when the sender's mail address
belongs to my domain.

I don't think, that it would help to switch on
spam-use-BBDB-exclusive, because it would mark mails explicitly as
black, I just want to have white mails marked as white and leave the
others.  However, I tried this out, nothing changed, at least nothing
about the X-Spammer header to be set.

So the questions are:
1) Is it possible to do the mail-splitting described?  I.e. does
   spam.el only inserts a header marking it as white, and let my
   following split rules do the rest?
2) How could it be then, that some messages are marked as white, if
   their sender is not in the BBDB?

BTW: While re-reading the manual, I found an error in the info page
'Spam ELisp Package Sequence of Events' on line 28, talking 2 times
about the same variable:
,----
`----

--