From: Timothy Brown <tim@tux.org>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Spam splitting and multiple nnimap methods
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 08:53:16 -0400	[thread overview]

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 11:53:01AM +0200, Jonas Steverud wrote:

> No problem, I have two POP sources. Spam.el does not care about how
> many sources you have.

This I keep reading, but i'm a little confused.

Using nnimap, I guess, my real challenge is understanding three things:

Where can I make a server declaration?  If I have something like:

>       spam-split-group "Spam"

Does that split to the spam group locally (nnfolder), does it split to
the IMAP group on that particular server, or does it split to an IMAP
group on a different server?  And when is split-group looked at?  Many
times my messages will say they are being "IMAP split host:INBOX:xx to INBOX"
but Gnus never sees them as part of that mailbox.  They aren't being lost,
exactly, but they do exist.  Also, how does splitting on nnimap, and spam-split,
interact?  So far i've had terrible luck with imap splitting, even with
splitting on the bodies as the manual says.

This is one area where Gnus' flexibility is giving me a huge headache - the
manual just isn't clear enough.

> I've added (: spam-split) to my split rules.

My own split rules are pretty simple - essentially split from "INBOX"
(which nnimap box is it splitting from?  From all of them?), run
: spam-split, (see question above), and then return messages not split
to "INBOX" (again, is this on the server i'm currently checking)?

> Now comes the second part; tell spam.el which groups contains spam and
> which don't. That is done with group parameters.

This part i'm sort of kind of -- well, totally lost on.

My assumption is:

	- INBOX will always contain spam.
	- I don't care about any other groups at the moment.
	- If there is spam in INBOX, move it elsewhere;
	- when I leave INBOX, process what I have marked (with S x) as
	  spam for bogofilter to train with.

The questions:

	- Do I need to do anything with ham?
	- If so, what?
	- How do I achieve the right functionality with the rules above?