* document frankly how a user is to just read his mail
@ 2006-06-07 17:48 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2006-06-07 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

The top of the gnus info tree should have an article: What if I don't
want to ever read 'news' and only want to read 'mail' and all my mail
currently is in /var/spool/mail/$USER? How should I then set up gnus?

You may think that "1.3 The Server is Down" is good enough, but I say
you have surely lost the user by then.

Indeed
$ mutt
would be much faster than trying to read the gnus documentation.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/ rating for gnus surely is 0.

And how would one translate
$ mutt -f file
into gnus language?  Surely one need a post-doc degree to find out.

Why don't you have a info page saying how to do
$ mail
$ mail -f file
$ mutt
$ mutt -f file
but in the gnus language or even from, gasp,
$ emacs -f gnus 'what goes here?' #the command line.
Or maybe it is impossible.

And regarding your
"Address: "
prompt, after guessing your B command might be usable.
Well who could ever figure out how to tell it the name of a local
file. The user is just left poking in the dark as usual.

* Re: document frankly how a user is to just read his mail
@ 2006-06-07 23:15 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2006-06-07 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bugs, ding

On 2006-06-08 01:48, Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:
> The top of the gnus info tree should have an article: What if I
> don't want to ever read 'news' and only want to read 'mail' and all
> my mail currently is in /var/spool/mail/$USER? How should I then set
> up gnus?
>
> You may think that "1.3 The Server is Down" is good enough, but I
> say you have surely lost the user by then.
>
> Indeed
> $ mutt
> would be much faster than trying to read the gnus documentation.
>
> http://www.useit.com/alertbox/ rating for gnus surely is 0.
>
> And how would one translate
> $ mutt -f file
> into gnus language?  Surely one need a post-doc degree to find out.
>
> Why don't you have a info page saying how to do
> $ mail
> $ mail -f file
> $ mutt
> $ mutt -f file
> but in the gnus language or even from, gasp,
> $ emacs -f gnus 'what goes here?' #the command line.
> Or maybe it is impossible.
>
> And regarding your
> "Address: "
> prompt, after guessing your B command might be usable.  Well who
> could ever figure out how to tell it the name of a local file. The
> user is just left poking in the dark as usual.

I've recently been taught that the best way to open an mbox file
quickly in Gnus is to use:

	C-u G f /path/to/mbox RET m

This is surely a bit more complex than:

	mutt -f /path/to/mbox

but you still have to set up mutt correctly before being able to do
anything useful with that command.

* Re: document frankly how a user is to just read his mail
@ 2006-06-16  3:35 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2006-06-16  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've recently been taught that the best way to open an mbox file
> quickly in Gnus is to use C-u G f /path/to/mbox RET m
Worked. Should be on page 1 of the documents.