* using nnml instead of nnfolder for archiving sent mail
@ 2007-04-28 20:12 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-04-28 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I am considering switching to use nnml instead of the default nnfolder
for archiving sent mail. The nnfolder archive becomes very slow after
sending a few big attachments. (I use one nnfolder per month, but even
that way it's possible to have quite big archive files).

Unfortunately I could not find any documentation for doing this.

Just setting gnus-message-archive-method to nnml seems to work, but
the nnml groups are created in ~/Mail instead of ~/Mail/archive and
gnus-server-alist has settings that refer to nnfolder instead of nnml:
  (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archive")
  (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
  (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
  (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)

Am I missing something here?

I have several years worth of sent mail that I can migrate to nnml by
hand.

Thanks!

        --dan

* Re: using nnml instead of nnfolder for archiving sent mail
@ 2007-04-29  8:48 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-04-29  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 13:12:06 -0700, Dan wrote:

> Hi,

> I am considering switching to use nnml instead of the default nnfolder
> for archiving sent mail. The nnfolder archive becomes very slow after
> sending a few big attachments. (I use one nnfolder per month, but even
> that way it's possible to have quite big archive files).

> Unfortunately I could not find any documentation for doing this.

I have a set up like this:

 ; Archive outgoing email in nnml+archive:(mail|news)-{year}:
 (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml "archive"
                                          (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
                                          (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
                                          (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
                                          (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))
 (setq gnus-message-archive-group
       '((if (message-news-p)
             (concat "news-" (format-time-string "%Y"))
           (concat "mail-" (format-time-string "%Y")))))

  Hope it helps,

    Adam

--
 "You miss too much these days if you stop to think"          Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: using nnml instead of nnfolder for archiving sent mail
@ 2007-04-29 18:01   ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-04-29 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

  > On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 13:12:06 -0700, Dan wrote:
  >
  > > Hi,
  >
  > > I am considering switching to use nnml instead of the default nnfolder
  > > for archiving sent mail. The nnfolder archive becomes very slow after
  > > sending a few big attachments. (I use one nnfolder per month, but even
  > > that way it's possible to have quite big archive files).
  >
  > > Unfortunately I could not find any documentation for doing this.
  >
  > I have a set up like this:
  >
  >  ; Archive outgoing email in nnml+archive:(mail|news)-{year}:
  >  (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml "archive"
  >                                           (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
  >                                           (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
  >                                           (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
  >                                           (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))
  >  (setq gnus-message-archive-group
  >        '((if (message-news-p)
  >              (concat "news-" (format-time-string "%Y"))
  >            (concat "mail-" (format-time-string "%Y")))))
  >

  >   Hope it helps,

Thanks! The above seems to work almost as expected. A new nnml group
is created, but for some reason the summary buffer says it's an
nnfolder group:

       1: nnfolder+archive:nnmlsent-mail-2007-Apr

gnus-message-archive-group is set like this:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((if (message-news-p) "nnmlsent-news"
      (concat "nnmlsent-mail-" (format-time-string "%Y-%b" (current-time))))))