From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To: Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: offline agent troubles
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:54:07 +0300	[thread overview]

On 2007-08-29 15:20, Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> wrote:
>Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:
>>   * I fire up Gnus in offline mode.
>>
>>   * I go into online mode, with `J j'
>>
>>   * I fetch the new article lists with `g' in the group buffer.
>>
>>   * I start fetching the article headers and bodies, with `J j', while
>>     still in online mode.
>>
>>   * Gnus fetches several hundred KB of text.
>>
>>   * I go into offline mode again.
>>
>> At this point there are several new articles which my agent has
>> supposedly fetched for offline reading, but all the `new' articles seem
>> unfetched and get tagged with `%' when I try to open them.
>>
>> A second agent run, i.e. with `J j' and then `M-x gnus-agent-batch'
>> refetches the articles, and then they are indeed available in offline
>> mode too.
>>
>> How can I try to find out why the first agent run seems to download
>> articles but then wants to refetch them?
>
> The default agent predicate is not 'true'.  Have you changed it?  If you
> really want all articles to be downloaded, do 'J c' from the *Group*
> buffer and press 'e' on default and change the predicate.

Excellent idea.  That was it, of course.

I tried agent categories a week ago, and this is when things started
working as I described above.  There's an unrelated minor bug in the
customization buffer code of agent-categories in Emacs' CVS HEAD,
but manually editing the predicate with 'p' in the category buffer
was the fix of downloading everything for me :-)

Many thanks,
Giorgos