* Migrating from Mutt
@ 2009-02-03 19:27 Chris Willard
From: Chris Willard @ 2009-02-03 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello All,

I am currently using Mutt for email and would like to try using gnus as I spend lots of time using emacs.

My current setup is as follows.

1) Email arrives into port 25 of my ESVA spam filter system (http://www.global-domination.org).
2) Allowed emails are sent to port 25 of my ubuntu system.
3) Procmail filters the emails and puts them in ~/Mail/file-name
4) Other mail goes into /var/mail/chris

I had a quick go at getting gnus to work by entering the following into ~/.gnus

,----
| ----- gnus settings
| (setq gnus-select-method '(nnml ""))
|
| (setq nnmail-spool-file '(
|    (file :path "/var/mail/chris")
| ))
`----

I could not see any mail in gnus but it dissapeared from /var/mail/chris

Any tips would be useful to get me started plus in there a way to leave mail in /var/mail/chris while I am learing gnus?

Also there seem to be many ways to store the mail! Is any method best?

Finally I have found people running a local IMAP server to access mail. Is this a good way to do it?

Regards,

Chris

--
-----------(   "No Fear," said Elijah, as he gave Ahab the    )------------