From: 白い熊 <ding_gnus.org@sumou.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Cc: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>,
	Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
Subject: Re: Using cache to read IMAP mail offline, with proper deletion of Spam
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:20:22 +0200	[thread overview]

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
Sent: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:18:05 -0500

> All right.  I think, after looking at your original description, that
> the Gnus cache (gnus-cache.el) is preventing the deletion.  I need you
> to remove the article from the cache (`M-*' is the default binding)
> before the first deletion and after the first deletion in two separate
> tests.  That way we can find if the cache is holding on to the article
> or just interfering with the deletion.

Great:

removing from cache before deletion - no effect, the problem persists;
removing from cache after deletion - the mail is deleted from IMAP server, problem disappears;

> Also, as a baseline, I need you to confirm that setting the gnus-cache
> variable to 'passive or nil prevents the problem from ocurring.

Indeed, setting (setq gnus-use-cache 'passive) the problem no longer persists, as of course the items don't enter the
cache.

So, at least temporarily as a fix, before it's debugged, this means redefining the `E' key in gnus group summary mode
to first issue the operation associated with E and then remove the item from the cache. I can do this, but with intense
effort, so if you can propose easily the .emacs code for this temp solution now, it'd be great.

In the meantime, I'm ready to work on debugging it, so that the workaround isn't necessary.

Later,

ShiroiKuma