* Gnus and mail don't work for me...
@ 2010-09-21 10:11 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-09-21 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all,

because of Lars' thirst for action, I thought I might express why Gnus
as it is right now doesn't work for me with respect to handling mail.

I've setup my 2 IMAP accounts in Gnus again with the agent enabled.  So
far, it works quite nicely and much more speedy than with the old
nnimap.  Good job, Lars!  :-)

Ok, now to my problem:

On one of my IMAP accounts I deleted some folder that had no new mail in
the last 3 years.  I moved all the mails in that folder (~500) into my
INBOX before.

The problem now is that when entering my INBOX with C-u 100 RET, I do
get the latest 100 mails according to article number (which are mails
from 2007!), but what I really like to have is the latest 100 mails
according to Date: header.  I guess that's what anyone would expect.  To
get that result, I now have to do something like C-u 600 RET (100 latest
articles plus the 500 old ones from the folder merge) and then restrict
by recency.

Also, C-u 100 RET should open a summary with exactly 100 articles
although I may have deleted/moved 99 of the last articles according to
article number...

I know these are all fundamental issues with Gnus working with article
numbers.  But are there any chances to overcome that limitation, because
the assumption of article numbers corresponding to recency simply
doesn't hold for mail?

Bye,
Tassilo