* Window layout: 3-pane horizontal arrangement
@ 2013-02-17 20:37 Gerard Lally
From: Gerard Lally @ 2013-02-17 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myself

Hi,

I would like to have the following arrangement for reading mail and news:

|GROUP 20% |SUMMARY 40%   | ARTICLE 40%   |
|          |              |               |
|          |              |               |

I can do this in Windows Emacs with the following:

(gnus-configure-frame
 '(horizontal 1.0
    (vertical 0.20
      (group 1.0))
    (vertical 0.40
      (article 1.0))
    (vertical 1.0
      (article 1.0))))

How do I achieve the same result in console Emacs?

Thank you

--
Gerard Lally <gerard@netmail.ie>

* Re: Window layout: 3-pane horizontal arrangement
@ 2013-02-17 23:25 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2013-02-17 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerard Lally; +Cc: ding

Gerard Lally wrote:
> I would like to have the following arrangement for reading mail and
> ---------------------------------------
> |GROUP 20% |SUMMARY 40% | ARTICLE 40% |
> |          |            |             |
> |          |            |             |
> ---------------------------------------
> I can do this in Windows Emacs with the following:

> (gnus-configure-frame
>  '(horizontal 1.0
>     (vertical 0.20
>       (group 1.0))
>     (vertical 0.40
>       (article 1.0))
>     (vertical 1.0
>       (article 1.0))))

Really you can do it?  Maybe what you want to do is to modify
the summary window configuration.  How is this?

(require 'gnus-win)
(setcdr (assq 'summary gnus-buffer-configuration)
	'((horizontal 1.0
		     (vertical 0.20
			       (group 1.0))
		     (vertical 0.40
			       (summary 1.0 point))
		     (vertical 1.0
			       (article 1.0)))))

> How do I achieve the same result in console Emacs?

The window layout control should work regardless of the console
type, I believe.

* Re: Window layout: 3-pane horizontal arrangement
@ 2013-02-17 23:35   ` Gerard Lally
From: Gerard Lally @ 2013-02-17 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: ding

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 08:25:46 +0900
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote:
> Gerard Lally wrote:
> > I would like to have the following arrangement for reading mail and
> > ---------------------------------------
> > |GROUP 20% |SUMMARY 40% | ARTICLE 40% |
> > |          |            |             |
> > |          |            |             |
> > ---------------------------------------
> > I can do this in Windows Emacs with the following:
>
> > (gnus-configure-frame
> >  '(horizontal 1.0
> >     (vertical 0.20
> >       (group 1.0))
> >     (vertical 0.40
> >       (article 1.0))
> >     (vertical 1.0
> >       (article 1.0))))
>
> Really you can do it?  Maybe what you want to do is to modify
> the summary window configuration.  How is this?

> (require 'gnus-win)
> (setcdr (assq 'summary gnus-buffer-configuration)
> 	'((horizontal 1.0
> 		     (vertical 0.20
> 			       (group 1.0))
> 		     (vertical 0.40
> 			       (summary 1.0 point))
> 		     (vertical 1.0
> 			       (article 1.0)))))
>
> > How do I achieve the same result in console Emacs?
>
> The window layout control should work regardless of the console
> type, I believe.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

:)

--

@ 2013-02-17 23:53   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2013-02-17 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerard Lally; +Cc: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
> How is this?

> (require 'gnus-win)
> (setcdr (assq 'summary gnus-buffer-configuration)
> 	'((horizontal 1.0
> 		     (vertical 0.20
> 			       (group 1.0))
> 		     (vertical 0.40
> 			       (summary 1.0 point))
> 		     (vertical 1.0
> 			       (article 1.0)))))

The recommended way the Gnus Info manual says seems to be:

(require 'gnus-win)
(gnus-add-configuration
 '(summary (horizontal 1.0
		       (vertical 0.20
				 (group 1.0))
		       (vertical 0.40
				 (summary 1.0 point))
		       (vertical 1.0
				 (article 1.0)))))

* Re: Window layout: 3-pane horizontal arrangement
@ 2013-02-18  0:10     ` Gerard Lally
From: Gerard Lally @ 2013-02-18  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: ding

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 08:53:11 +0900
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote:
> Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
> > How is this?
>
> > (require 'gnus-win)
> > (setcdr (assq 'summary gnus-buffer-configuration)
> > 	'((horizontal 1.0
> > 		     (vertical 0.20
> > 			       (group 1.0))
> > 		     (vertical 0.40
> > 			       (summary 1.0 point))
> > 		     (vertical 1.0
> > 			       (article 1.0)))))
>
> The recommended way the Gnus Info manual says seems to be:

> (require 'gnus-win)
> (gnus-add-configuration
>  '(summary (horizontal 1.0
> 		       (vertical 0.20
> 				 (group 1.0))
> 		       (vertical 0.40
> 				 (summary 1.0 point))
> 		       (vertical 1.0
> 				 (article 1.0)))))

I can confirm that this works as well, with Emacs running in a terminal
and also in Windows.

Thank you very much for this: it was annoying me for a long time.

--
Gerard Lally <gerard@netmail.ie>