* Need help after upgrade
@ 2012-07-12  7:16 Johan Vromans
From: Johan Vromans @ 2012-07-12  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've been using Gnus for over ten years, mainly to handle mailing lists.
Using a procmail(-like) filter I deliver mail from mailing lists into a local
news spool and read them with Gnus as nnml groups. So far so good.

Recently I upgraded from Emacs 21.4 to 24.0 and I came across a very annoying
change in behaviour.

With the old Emacs/Gnus, when I invoked Gnus, I got presented a list of all
groups that have new messages, e.g.

[ Gnus -- 10 ]
  [ Mailing lists -- 10 ]
    [ Graphics -- 10 ]
           6: nnml:maillists.gimp-user-list
           4: nnml:maillists.inkscape-user

With the new Emacs/Gnus, I get to see *all* lists, but without new message
information:

[ Gnus -- 0 ]
  [ Mailing lists -- 0 ]
    [ Graphics -- 0 ]
           *: nnml:maillists.gimp-user-list
           *: nnml:maillists.graphics
           *: nnml:maillists.inkscape-user
           *: nnml:maillists.tgif4-announce

(In the real situation, there are about 200 groups spread over several topics.)

When I enter such a group (with SPC), I can see the new messages and when I quit
the group (with q) the actual number of new messages is displayed in the
summary. E.g., after visiting the gimp user list without reading any new
messages.

[ Gnus -- 6 ]
  [ Mailing lists -- 6 ]
    [ Graphics -- 6 ]
           6: nnml:maillists.gimp-user-list
           *: nnml:maillists.graphics
           *: nnml:maillists.inkscape-user
           *: nnml:maillists.tgif4-announce

Before I start digging in my extensive setup and configuration files, does this
change in behaviour ring a bell with someone? Any suggestions where to start
looking?

* Re: Need help after upgrade
@ 2012-07-12 17:34 ` Johan Vromans
From: Johan Vromans @ 2012-07-12 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Johan Vromans <jvromans <at> squirrel.nl> writes:

> Recently I upgraded from Emacs 21.4 to 24.0 and I came across a very annoying
> change in behaviour.

Correction: upgrade was from 23.2.1 (Fedora14) to 24.0.97 (Fedora17).
Both emacs versions are distributed with Gnus 5.13.

I went back to 23.2.1 and Gnus behaves as it should. However, all articles
I read with Emacs 24 are still marked as unread.

-- Johan

* Re: Need help after upgrade
@ 2012-07-18 13:55 ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]   ` <20487.42252.815283.378741@phoenix.squirrel.nl>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-07-18 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Vromans; +Cc: ding

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 07:16:04 +0000 (UTC) Johan Vromans <jvromans@squirrel.nl> wrote:

JV> I've been using Gnus for over ten years, mainly to handle mailing lists.
JV> Using a procmail(-like) filter I deliver mail from mailing lists into a local
JV> news spool and read them with Gnus as nnml groups. So far so good.

JV> Recently I upgraded from Emacs 21.4 to 24.0 and I came across a very annoying
JV> change in behaviour.
JV> With the new Emacs/Gnus, I get to see *all* lists, but without new message
JV> information:

JV> [ Gnus -- 0 ]
JV>   [ Mailing lists -- 0 ]
JV>     [ Graphics -- 0 ]
JV>            *: nnml:maillists.gimp-user-list
JV>            *: nnml:maillists.graphics
JV>            *: nnml:maillists.inkscape-user
JV>            *: nnml:maillists.tgif4-announce

JV> (In the real situation, there are about 200 groups spread over several topics.)

Johan, does `M-g' show the correct counts?  If yes, do `M-g' on a topic
and all will be refreshed.  I have something similar happening on Emacs
under Mac OS X, which I thought was a problem with my setup.  So add my
vote to fixing this bug... if it's anything obvious...

Ted

* Re: Need help after upgrade
       [not found]   ` <20487.42252.815283.378741@phoenix.squirrel.nl>
@ 2012-07-19 13:34     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-07-19 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 08:11:24 +0200 jvromans@squirrel.nl (Johan Vromans) wrote:

JV> [Quoting Ted Zlatanov, on July 18 2012, 09:55, in "Re: Need help after "]
>> Johan, does `M-g' show the correct counts?

JV> Yes, it does.

>> If yes, do `M-g' on a topic and all will be refreshed.

JV> I tried this with Emacs 24 and then went back to 23.

JV> It seems that the initial reading of all data is not done in 24, or,
JV> in other words, an initial M-g is implied in 23.

JV> Curious thing is both Emacs 23 and Emacs 24 claim to have Gnus v5.13.

JV> BTW: I read some articles with Emacs 24, and when I went back to Emacs
JV> 23 these articles appeared again.

(CC back to ding for help)

The Gnus that comes with Emacs has definitely changed since 23.  I don't
know why the version number hasn't.  I think the problem here are the
new 'unexist' marks, intended to get accurate article counts with IMAP,
but I honestly don't know what we need to do to get proper counts on
startup.  Perhaps someone else on the list does.

Ted

* Re: Need help after upgrade
@ 2012-07-19 16:01       ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2012-07-19 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Jul 2012, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

[...]

> JV> BTW: I read some articles with Emacs 24, and when I went back to
> JV> Emacs 23 these articles appeared again.
>
> (CC back to ding for help)
>
> The Gnus that comes with Emacs has definitely changed since 23.  I
> don't know why the version number hasn't.  I think the problem here

Lars answered a similar question on gnu.emacs.gnus in June, saying it
was equivalent to the last No GNus release. That is Gnus v5.13, I think.

* Re: Need help after upgrade
@ 2012-07-20  7:31       ` Johan Vromans
From: Johan Vromans @ 2012-07-20  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Quoting Ted Zlatanov, on July 19 2012, 09:34, in "Re: Need help after "]
> The Gnus that comes with Emacs has definitely changed since 23. I
> don't know why the version number hasn't.

Yes. I compared them and there are many differences (over 60.000 lines
of diff -c output). Yet the version number did not change.

-- Johan