* position of point in the *Article* buffer
@ 1996-02-29 19:22 Roderick Schertler
From: Roderick Schertler @ 1996-02-29 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've had a go at reading news from inside the *Article* buffer, and I
think I like it.  One disconcerting thing about it, though, is the way
that point jumps around.  Eg, if you're reading a 500 byte article and
you SPC to go to the next article, and the next article is longer than
500 bytes, point is left 500 bytes into the longer article, in the
middle of the screen.

How about putting point at the start of the article buffer when a new
article is selected?

Slightly similarly, how about putting point at the top of the window
rather than the bottom when paging backwards with DEL?  This would leave
the cursor in the same physical place on the screen when paging forward
and back through articles and that would be more pleasing fsthetically
than having it alternate between the top and bottom of the window, I
think.

A last idea:  How about moving point in the summary buffer to track
which article you've got in the article buffer?  As it is now point sits
still in the summary buffer, so you've got to find the current article
yourself if you switch to the summary after reading from the article
buffer.

--
Roderick Schertler
roderick@gate.net

* Re: position of point in the *Article* buffer
@ 1996-02-29 21:59 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1996-02-29 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Roderick Schertler

Roderick Schertler writes:

> A last idea:  How about moving point in the summary buffer to track
> which article you've got in the article buffer?  As it is now point sits
> still in the summary buffer, so you've got to find the current article
> yourself if you switch to the summary after reading from the article
> buffer.

I agree with the idea of point following the article in the summary
buffer.  However, you can  type `h' (gnus-article-show-summary) in the
article buffer to get what you want.

--
Colin Rafferty
Violate the Communications Decency Act.

* Re: position of point in the *Article* buffer
@ 1996-03-01  9:04 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-01  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roderick Schertler <roderick@gate.net> writes:

> How about putting point at the start of the article buffer when a new
> article is selected?

Yup.  Fix in September Gnus v0.49.