From: Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>
Subject: Re: MH-E and Gnus tool bar icons
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:24:23 -0800	[thread overview]

After talking with the GNOME usability folks, I found out that the old
GNOME arrow (and other) icons used green and this is what GTK is using.
The reason we still see green arrows in our GNOME apps is because of a
bug whereby the GNOME icons have different names from the GTK icons and
are therefore not overriding them. This has been fixed in GNOME 2.15 (so
I guess we'd see it in GNOME 2.16).

So, for this release of Emacs, and until 2.16 is in wide release, I'd
suggest we stick with the GTK-themed icons (with the green arrows),
which you can browse at

  http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gtk%2B/gtk/stock-icons/

or check out with

 cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome co gtk+/gtk/stock-icons

Comparing these icons with the current Emacs icons, I see the following
discrepancies in which the GTK version should be used.

- I'll revert my blue right-arrow and left-arrow icons back to the green
  GTK versions. The refresh icon also needs to be reverted to the green
  GTK version from the blue GNOME version.

- sort-ascending and sort-descending are diagonal in Emacs (and GNOME),
  but vertical in GTK.

- info is a question mark in Emacs, but a blue i symbol in GTK. The
  dialog-info icon is a lightbulb in GNOME, but some themes have both so
  I'm not sure we can compare here.

- search-replace is similar to but different to gtk-find-and-replace and
  different again to GNOME's search-and-replace.

If that works for everyone, I'll float the suggested replaces (along
with the above explanation) to emacs-devel before making the updates.