* html completely crashes gnus and emacs ... what the...
@ 2001-06-02  0:20 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-06-02  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I received an advertisement message from amazon.com.  It gets rendered
by w3 but at least one of the links that appears will crash the entire
session when clicked.  What the heck is going with this?

The full raw message is posted at:
http://www.ptw.com/~reader/exp/html_message1

When viewed with w3 in gnus a link titled
 Perl CD Bookshelf 2.0 CD-ROM

will crash the whole shebang here.

* Re: html completely crashes gnus and emacs ... what the...
@ 2001-06-03 10:11 ` greg
From: greg @ 2001-06-03 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I received an advertisement message from amazon.com.  It gets rendered
> by w3 but at least one of the links that appears will crash the entire
> session when clicked.  What the heck is going with this?
>
> The full raw message is posted at:
> http://www.ptw.com/~reader/exp/html_message1
>
> When viewed with w3 in gnus a link titled
>  Perl CD Bookshelf 2.0 CD-ROM
>
> will crash the whole shebang here.

Hi,

It is not exactly answer to your question but maybe it can
help to forget all yours w3 problems. There is another browser that
work with emacs - emacs-w3m.  Emacs-w3m is interface to w3m - simple
text WWW browser. It still lacks some capabilities of w3m (no frames,
forms support is very primitive), but as simple text browser it does
very good job. I use w3m-region instead of w3-region to render html
mails in gnus and don't recall any problem with it.

http://namazu.org/~tsuchiya/emacs-w3m/

It is Japanese only page but you can find there links
to stable and cvs versions.

Attached screenshot of your problematic message in emacs-w3m.
All links works properly.

[-- Attachment #2: emacs-w3m.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 153928 bytes --]

* Re: html completely crashes gnus and emacs ... what the...
@ 2001-06-03 19:35   ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-06-03 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

greg@visiontech-dml.com writes:

> Attached screenshot of your problematic message in emacs-w3m.

Is ding now a binaries mailing list?  I hope not.  (If you encoded the
screenshot in the compressed PNG, it would have been much smaller, but
over 200K in a single message is too much for this mailing list IMHO.)

* Re: html completely crashes gnus and emacs ... what the...
@ 2001-06-03 20:29   ` Sean Rima
From: Sean Rima @ 2001-06-03 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

greg@visiontech-dml.com wrote:

>> I received an advertisement message from amazon.com.  It gets
>> rendered by w3 but at least one of the links that appears will
>> crash the entire session when clicked.  What the heck is going with
>> this?
>>
> It is not exactly answer to your question but maybe it can help to
> forget all yours w3 problems. There is another browser that work
> with emacs - emacs-w3m.  Emacs-w3m is interface to w3m - simple text
> WWW browser. It still lacks some capabilities of w3m (no frames,
> forms support is very primitive), but as simple text browser it does
> very good job. I use w3m-region instead of w3-region to render html
> mails in gnus and don't recall any problem with it.

I am a fan of W3m and have emacs-w3m but don't know how to link it to
Gnus. I am new to Emacs and would prefer my favourite web browser
involved :) Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sean
--
GNUPG ID 92B9D0CF    | YAIM: thecivvie                | Fidonet and BBS
ICQ: 679813          | Homepage: http://www.tcob1.net | Newsportal at

* Re: html completely crashes gnus and emacs ... what the...
@ 2001-06-04  7:15     ` greg
From: greg @ 2001-06-04  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> greg@visiontech-dml.com writes:
>
> > Attached screenshot of your problematic message in emacs-w3m.
>
> Is ding now a binaries mailing list?  I hope not.  (If you encoded the
> screenshot in the compressed PNG, it would have been much smaller, but
> over 200K in a single message is too much for this mailing list IMHO.)

Sorry, :-(
It will never happen again.
I read ding as newsgroup on quimby and always work online,
so i somehow started to forget that 200K it's to much
for mailing list.