* \XXX symbols in text
@ 2000-06-01  4:00 Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 2000-06-01  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I actually meant to ask this for a long time. Below is an artifact
of a message in plain text, which contains escaped characters like
`\222'. In the header it shows as:

,----[ Headers snippage ]
`----
,----[ Here's an example of what I see in the buffer ]
| ⌠By offering a free ISP service, we will provide the type of
| technologically advanced virtual Internet service that our customers
| demand,■ said Derek J. Burney, executive vice-president, engineering and
| chief technology officer of Corel Corporation.  ⌠Not only is the service
| free, but there are no streamed advertisements that impact the
| consumer▓s Internet experience.■
`----

So, those `\XXX' symbols don't get decoded in whatever they were meant
to show as.  Is this a bug in Gnus or the mailer of the author, which
originated the message?

Thanks!
--
Arcady Genkin
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

* Re: \XXX symbols in text
@ 2000-06-01  4:20 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-06-01  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady> I actually meant to ask this for a long time. Below is an
Arcady> artifact of a message in plain text, which contains escaped
Arcady> characters like `\222'. In the header it shows as:

Arcady> ,----[ Headers snippage ]
Arcady> | Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Arcady> | Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Arcady> `----
Arcady> ,----[ Here's an example of what I see in the buffer ]
Arcady> | ``By offering a free ISP service, we will provide the type of
Arcady> | technologically advanced virtual Internet service that our customers
Arcady> | demand," said Derek J. Burney, executive vice-president, engineering and
Arcady> | chief technology officer of Corel Corporation.  ``Not only is the service
Arcady> | free, but there are no streamed advertisements that impact the
Arcady> | consumer's Internet experience."
Arcady> `----

Arcady> So, those `\XXX' symbols don't get decoded in whatever they
Arcady> were meant to show as.  Is this a bug in Gnus or the mailer of
Arcady> the author, which originated the message?

They are M******** sm*rtq**t*s, not our old friends.  The author is
using M$ mailer or so.  `W d' treats them.

Shenghuo