* Need help debugging window configuration
@ 2001-07-23 13:33 Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2001-07-23 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been seeing a weird problem lately, which I've narrowed to the
following scenario:

Eval this snippet of code taken from the Info node "Window
Configurations".

          (gnus-add-configuration
           '(article
             (horizontal 1.0
                         (vertical 25 (group 1.0))
                         (vertical 1.0
                                   (summary 0.16 point)
                                   (article 1.0)))))

With this, the SPC key in the *Summary* buffer behaves weirdly for
*some* articles. That is, if I press SPC, I get a blank *Article*
buffer, indicating that I reached the end of the article, even though
there is more there. This can be confirmed by using the BS key. The
following screenshots explain this situation:

Here is the original article:
http://www.mts.jhu.edu/~kapur/SPACE_bug/space-1.png
Now I press SPC:
http://www.mts.jhu.edu/~kapur/SPACE_bug/space-2.png
Now I press BS:
http://www.mts.jhu.edu/~kapur/SPACE_bug/space-3.png

Notice that the last screen of article never showed up. For some
reason, *all* of Adrian Aichner's articles show this behavior. If use
C-u g to view the articles, then I don't get this behavior and without
the above snippet, things are fine too. I see this on Gnus 5.8.5 and
the latest Oort. I'm using XEmacs 21.4.3.

Any help in debugging this is appreciated.

--
Nevin

* Re: Need help debugging window configuration
@ 2001-07-23 13:52 ` Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2001-07-23 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nevin Kapur <nevin@jhu.edu> writes:

> the above snippet, things are fine too. I see this on Gnus 5.8.5 and
                                                                 ^
Oops, that should be an 8.

I just saw this message on the ding list and it shows the same
behavior. :(

--

@ 2001-07-28  0:41 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-07-28  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nevin Kapur <nevin@jhu.edu> writes:

> I've been seeing a weird problem lately, which I've narrowed to the
> following scenario:
>
> Eval this snippet of code taken from the Info node "Window
> Configurations".
>
>           (gnus-add-configuration
>            '(article
>              (horizontal 1.0
>                          (vertical 25 (group 1.0))
>                          (vertical 1.0
>                                    (summary 0.16 point)
>                                    (article 1.0)))))
>
> With this, the SPC key in the *Summary* buffer behaves weirdly for
> *some* articles. That is, if I press SPC, I get a blank *Article*
> buffer, indicating that I reached the end of the article, even though
> there is more there. This can be confirmed by using the BS key. The
> following screenshots explain this situation:
>
> Here is the original article:
> http://www.mts.jhu.edu/~kapur/SPACE_bug/space-1.png
> Now I press SPC:
> http://www.mts.jhu.edu/~kapur/SPACE_bug/space-2.png
> Now I press BS:
> http://www.mts.jhu.edu/~kapur/SPACE_bug/space-3.png
>
> Notice that the last screen of article never showed up. For some
> reason, *all* of Adrian Aichner's articles show this behavior. If use
> C-u g to view the articles, then I don't get this behavior and without
> the above snippet, things are fine too. I see this on Gnus 5.8.5 and
> the latest Oort. I'm using XEmacs 21.4.3.

I can't reproduce this bug.  Anyone?

How about other version of XEmacs?

ShengHuo

* Re: Need help debugging window configuration
@ 2001-07-28  6:12   ` Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2001-07-28  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Apologies to ShengHuo if he sees this twice. I replied instead of
following up.]

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Nevin Kapur <nevin@jhu.edu> writes:
>
>> With this, the SPC key in the *Summary* buffer behaves weirdly for
>> *some* articles. That is, if I press SPC, I get a blank *Article*
>> buffer, indicating that I reached the end of the article, even though
>> there is more there. This can be confirmed by using the BS key. The
>> following screenshots explain this situation:
>>
>> Here is the original article:
>> http://www.mts.jhu.edu/~kapur/SPACE_bug/space-1.png
>> Now I press SPC:
>> http://www.mts.jhu.edu/~kapur/SPACE_bug/space-2.png
>> Now I press BS:
>> http://www.mts.jhu.edu/~kapur/SPACE_bug/space-3.png
>>
>> Notice that the last screen of article never showed up.

> I can't reproduce this bug.  Anyone?

I have a better handle on the bug now. It is minimally triggered by
these lines:

          (gnus-add-configuration
           '(article
             (horizontal 1.0
                         (vertical 25 (group 1.0))
                         (vertical 1.0
                                   (summary 0.16 point)
                                   (article 1.0)))))

(setq gnus-always-force-window-configuration t)
(setq gnus-treat-display-xface 'head)

Now if there is an article which is just a little more than 1 screen,
I get the behavior describe above. Maybe it's not a bug. Perhaps one's
not supposed to use these options together.

> How about other version of XEmacs?

I can reproduce this on XEmacs 21.1.14, 21.4.3 with Gnus 5.8.8 and
Oort.

--
Nevin