* Bugs in PGnus
@ 1999-11-22  0:51 Brian May
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Brian May @ 1999-11-22  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Note: Previously I got this mailing list as a newsgroup from
quimby.gnus.org, however, I cannot connect to this server right
now... So Please CC any responses back to me.

Is there a archive of this mailing list? Oh, yes, found it.

Minor, bugs I have found in PGnus 0.98, in order of inconvenience (most
inconvenient 2 are at the top). Some I already have mentioned. I suspect
problem 3 might be easy to fix.

Problem 4 and 5 might not be PGnus, but possibly w3. Not sure though.

Problems 1 to 6:

1. Pushing A R doesn't retrieve article numbers on my computer at
Uni. However it works fine at Home, with the same configuration,
except for a different news server (one that I administrate) and a
different .newsrc.eld file. (Lars implied that this shouldn't work at
all - weird - or perhaps I misunderstood him?). Perhaps the news server
here is giving bad index files or something - I don't particularly
trust it.  It would be good if I could be more specific though, when
complaining to the administrator...

2. As I already mentioned, threading often has problems, as messages
are put with the wrong thread. This seems to be because "Y c"
inserts cached articles at the *current* cursor position, and not in
thread order. Pushing "T t" on the broken thread fixes it.

(I suspect this is only part of the threading problem, but I can
reproduce this bug... From memory I get similar problems without
pushing "Y c" but haven't yet reproduced it "on demand").

3. Pressing "W T o", "W T l", "W T s", change the time zone of the
displayed date as expected. Pressing "W T e" also works.  However,
once I push "W T e" to display the elapsed time, none of the "W T"
time zone commands work anymore until I redisplay the message.

3. I get lots of ~/Mail/Incoming* files, which never seem to be
deleted.  Perhaps this is to keep a backup in case things go wrong,
however I already do that via my .forward file.

4. I sent myself a HTML file (please ask if you want a copy) that
displays OK in X-Windows, but in a text-mode console, the top
of the file is missing, while weblint comes up with numerous
errors, I find it strange that the same program skips text
depending on which way it is started. Same goes for citations
in replies.

5. Somebody sent me this badly formed HTML file, it starts off as:

<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>

According to weblint, the "content=" should be quoted. However,
I didn't write this HTML, so it is outside my control. PGnus
gets *very* confused and displays:

html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>

Is it possible to get PGnus to display this OK? Or is this outside
the scope of PGnus?

Another problem with this message is that in text mode xemacs,
the actual content is invisible (black on black) - probably because the HTML
sets the background color, but not the foreground color - Stupid!
No wonder - it is "MSHTML" ;-).

(however, I would have expected white on white, not black on black...)

Marking a region highlights the text. Citing the message in a reply
works fine, too.

Perhaps these aren't really a bugs in PGnus, but are annoying
all the same.

6. I wanted to try and get mail groups to behave in the same way as
newgroups, as far as expiry is concerned - ie all messages can be
expired unless they are cached (probably not supported). So I marked a
message as cached and expired, and forced it to expire.

I confirmed that a copy of the message appeared in:
~/News/cache/nnml+private:mail.usenet/1

and that the original was ~/Mail/mail/usenet/1, and pushed B M-C-e to
force the article to expire. ~/Mail/mail/usenet/1 is gone (as
expected) but the cached copy still exists.

However, while PGnus will display an entry for the cached article, it
refuses to display the contents of this article:

Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-article-decode-hook

I think caching should either be fully disabled for mailing lists or
fully enabled, but not half implemented in such a way that cached
items cannot be accessed.

Whats worse, is now something in PGnus is currupted, and it
wont display any articles without this error. Restarting PGnus
doesn't seem to help. I have to exit xemacs and restart, and then
everything is OK.
--
Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>

* Re: Bugs in PGnus
@ 1999-11-22  2:15 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-11-22  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

[...]

B> 3. Pressing "W T o", "W T l", "W T s", change the time zone of the
B> displayed date as expected. Pressing "W T e" also works.  However,
B> once I push "W T e" to display the elapsed time, none of the "W T"
B> time zone commands work anymore until I redisplay the message.

Gnus does not parse elapsed time, so after `W T e', it can not get the
time. But you can (setq gnus-article-date-lapsed-new-header t) not
erase the orignal one.

B> 3. I get lots of ~/Mail/Incoming* files, which never seem to be
B> deleted.  Perhaps this is to keep a backup in case things go wrong,
B> however I already do that via my .forward file.

(setq mail-source-delete-incoming t)

[...]

B> 5. Somebody sent me this badly formed HTML file, it starts off as:

B> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
B> <HTML>
B> <HEAD>

B> <META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
B> <META content='"MSHTML 4.72.3110.7"' name=GENERATOR>
B> </HEAD>
B> <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>

B> According to weblint, the "content=" should be quoted. However,
B> I didn't write this HTML, so it is outside my control. PGnus
B> gets *very* confused and displays:

B> html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>

B> Is it possible to get PGnus to display this OK? Or is this outside
B> the scope of PGnus?

It is outside of pGnus control.

[...]

--
Shenghuo

* Re: Bugs in PGnus
@ 1999-11-22  2:59   ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 1999-11-22  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    ZSH> Gnus does not parse elapsed time, so after `W T e', it can not get the
    ZSH> time. But you can (setq gnus-article-date-lapsed-new-header t) not
    ZSH> erase the orignal one.

Thanks.

    B> 3. I get lots of ~/Mail/Incoming* files, which never seem to be
    B> deleted.  Perhaps this is to keep a backup in case things go wrong,
    B> however I already do that via my .forward file.

    ZSH> (setq mail-source-delete-incoming t)

Not yet tested, but... just curious: why isn't this the default?
--

@ 1999-11-22  3:45     ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-11-22  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

B> 3. I get lots of ~/Mail/Incoming* files, which never seem to be
B> deleted.  Perhaps this is to keep a backup in case things go wrong,
B> however I already do that via my .forward file.

ZSH> (setq mail-source-delete-incoming t)

Brian> Not yet tested, but... just curious: why isn't this the default?

Because it is alpha verison. When it is released, that's the default.

--
Shenghuo

* Re: Bugs in PGnus
@ 1999-11-22  9:43 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-22  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au> writes:

> 1. Pushing A R doesn't retrieve article numbers on my computer at
> Uni. However it works fine at Home, with the same configuration,
> except for a different news server (one that I administrate) and a
> different .newsrc.eld file. (Lars implied that this shouldn't work at
> all - weird - or perhaps I misunderstood him?). Perhaps the news server
> here is giving bad index files or something - I don't particularly
> trust it.  It would be good if I could be more specific though, when
> complaining to the administrator...

Have you tried setting nntp-record-commands to t, then compare traces
of the communication between Gnus and the NNTP server at uni and at
home?

> 2. As I already mentioned, threading often has problems, as messages
> are put with the wrong thread. This seems to be because "Y c"
> inserts cached articles at the *current* cursor position, and not in
> thread order. Pushing "T t" on the broken thread fixes it.
>
> (I suspect this is only part of the threading problem, but I can
> reproduce this bug... From memory I get similar problems without
> pushing "Y c" but haven't yet reproduced it "on demand").

I also see this problem.  Hm.  But I use `/ *' rather than `Y c'.  Is
the behavior different?  Why are there two commands?

> 3. I get lots of ~/Mail/Incoming* files, which never seem to be
> deleted.  Perhaps this is to keep a backup in case things go wrong,
> however I already do that via my .forward file.

See mail-source-delete-incoming.  This is indeed a safety net because
this is an alpha version of Gnus.

kai
--
because I couldn't think of a good beginning.

* Re: Bugs in PGnus
@ 1999-11-22 23:43   ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 1999-11-22 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Kai> Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au> writes:
    >> 1. Pushing A R doesn't retrieve article numbers on my computer
    >> at Uni. However it works fine at Home, with the same
    >> configuration, except for a different news server (one that I
    >> administrate) and a different .newsrc.eld file. (Lars implied
    >> that this shouldn't work at all - weird - or perhaps I
    >> misunderstood him?). Perhaps the news server here is giving bad
    >> index files or something - I don't particularly trust it.  It
    >> would be good if I could be more specific though, when
    >> complaining to the administrator...

    Kai> Have you tried setting nntp-record-commands to t, then
    Kai> compare traces of the communication between Gnus and the NNTP
    Kai> server at uni and at home?

No. Thanks for the suggestion. Will try that and see if anything
obvious shows up...

    >> 2. As I already mentioned, threading often has problems, as
    >> messages are put with the wrong thread. This seems to be
    >> because "Y c" inserts cached articles at the *current* cursor
    >> position, and not in thread order. Pushing "T t" on the broken
    >> thread fixes it.
    >>
    >> (I suspect this is only part of the threading problem, but I
    >> can reproduce this bug... From memory I get similar problems
    >> without pushing "Y c" but haven't yet reproduced it "on
    >> demand").

    Kai> I also see this problem.  Hm.  But I use `/ *' rather than `Y
    Kai> c'.  Is the behavior different?  Why are there two commands?

I don't know, I think they are exactly the same thing though...

>From "C-h k Y c":
-------------------------
Y c runs `gnus-summary-insert-cached-articles'

`gnus-summary-insert-cached-articles' is an interactive compiled Lisp function
  -- loaded from "gnus-cache.elc"
(gnus-summary-insert-cached-articles)

Insert all the articles cached for this group into the current buffer.

>From "C-h k / *":
-------------------------
/ * runs `gnus-summary-limit-include-cached'

`gnus-summary-limit-include-cached' is an alias for `gnus-summary-insert-cached\
-articles', an interactive compiled Lisp function
  -- loaded from "gnus-cache.elc"
(gnus-summary-limit-include-cached)

Insert all the articles cached for this group into the current buffer.

I assume "is an alias for" means that it is exactly the same function,
only with a different name.

    >> 3. I get lots of ~/Mail/Incoming* files, which never seem to be
    >> deleted.  Perhaps this is to keep a backup in case things go
    >> wrong, however I already do that via my .forward file.

    Kai> See mail-source-delete-incoming.  This is indeed a safety net
    Kai> because this is an alpha version of Gnus.

Good idea. Only in my case, I already make backup copies via
my .forward file, so this safety net isn't required.
--

@ 1999-11-23 21:44     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-23 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au> writes:

> `gnus-summary-limit-include-cached' is an alias for
> `gnus-summary-insert-cached-articles', an interactive compiled Lisp
> function

How could I miss that `alias' bit?  Eek.  Thanks.

kai
--

@ 1999-11-24 23:07   ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 1999-11-24 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Kai> Have you tried setting nntp-record-commands to t, then
    Kai> compare traces of the communication between Gnus and the NNTP
    Kai> server at uni and at home?

Here is what I get when I try to fetch an article (by message-id)
at Monash Uni:

19991125T093917.704 newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au HEAD <38385A79.8410721@mcn.net>
19991125T093917.902 newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au ARTICLE <38385A79.8410721@mcn.net>

This is what happens when PGnus knows the message number:
19991125T093927.248 newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au ARTICLE 34480

At home, the first two commands would look more like (edited to
look like the expected form):
19991125T093917.704 newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au HEAD <38385A79.8410721@mcn.net>
19991125T093917.902 newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au ARTICLE 34479

ie PGnus is able to find the message number just by looking at the
header. My guess is it does this via the Xref header. So, the
obvious problem is that PGnus cannot interpret the Xref header here
at Uni - I don't know why, it looks OK to me:

Hang on... Perhaps PGnus is confused with the "towncrier.cc.monash.edu.au"
bit - my newsserver is setup as "newserver.cc.monash.edu.au":

[504] [dec16:bmay] ~ >host newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au
newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au has address 130.194.1.90
newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au mail is handled (pri=20) by mx.cc.monash.edu.au
newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au mail is handled (pri=10) by towncrier.cc.monash.edu.au
[505] [dec16:bmay] ~ >host towncrier.cc.monash.edu.au
towncrier.cc.monash.edu.au has address 130.194.1.90
towncrier.cc.monash.edu.au mail is handled (pri=20) by mx.cc.monash.edu.au
towncrier.cc.monash.edu.au mail is handled (pri=10) by towncrier.cc.monash.edu.au

(note: they both have the same IP address).

However, I tried changing gnus-select-method to use towncrier, but
it didn't help.

Is there anyway to debug why PGnus doesn't like the Xref
header (assuming my assumptions are correct)?
--

@ 1999-11-25  9:18     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-25  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au> writes:

> Here is what I get when I try to fetch an article (by message-id)
> at Monash Uni:
>
> 19991125T093917.704 newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au HEAD <38385A79.8410721@mcn.net>
> 19991125T093917.902 newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au ARTICLE <38385A79.8410721@mcn.net>

And do these two commands print the head of the article, or the
complete article?  They should.

kai
--

@ 1999-11-28 23:39       ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 1999-11-28 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Kai> Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au> writes:
    >> Here is what I get when I try to fetch an article (by
    >> message-id) at Monash Uni:
    >>
    >> 19991125T093917.704 newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au HEAD
    >> <38385A79.8410721@mcn.net> 19991125T093917.902
    >> newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au ARTICLE <38385A79.8410721@mcn.net>

    Kai> And do these two commands print the head of the article, or
    Kai> the complete article?  They should.

Gnus shows me the complete article.

Everything looks OK to me except Gnus cannot identify the message
number. I don't know why, the correct number is on the Xref header,
which looks OK to me.

I have run telnet to the nntp port of the server, and tried some
commands (eg HEAD and ARTICLE). Everything looks OK to me.

Perhaps if I get a chance, I might try to find the PGnus code that
extracts the message number from the headers.  Obviously it is not
working to well (here).
--

@ 1999-11-29  2:46         ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 1999-11-29  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Brian> Gnus shows me the complete article.

    Brian> Everything looks OK to me except Gnus cannot identify the
    Brian> message number. I don't know why, the correct number is on
    Brian> the Xref header, which looks OK to me.

    Brian> I have run telnet to the nntp port of the server, and tried
    Brian> some commands (eg HEAD and ARTICLE). Everything looks OK to
    Brian> me.

    Brian> Perhaps if I get a chance, I might try to find the PGnus
    Brian> code that extracts the message number from the headers.
    Brian> Obviously it is not working to well (here).  -- Brian May
    Brian> <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>

Sorry to followup my own mail ;-) - however, I think the following
might help.

I was experimenting with the 'trace-function-background'
function, and got the following:

[-- Attachment #2: Trace listing of gnus-summary-refer-article --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2222 bytes --]

1 -> gnus-summary-refer-article: message-id="<t4id7t31clz.fsf@silas-1.cc.monash.edu.au>" arg=nil
| 2 -> gnus-id-to-header: id="<t4id7t31clz.fsf@silas-1.cc.monash.edu.au>"
| | 3 -> gnus-id-to-thread: id="<t4id7t31clz.fsf@silas-1.cc.monash.edu.au>"
| | 3 <- gnus-id-to-thread: nil
| 2 <- gnus-id-to-header: nil
| 2 -> gnus-id-to-header: id="<t4id7t31clz.fsf@silas-1.cc.monash.edu.au>"
| | 3 -> gnus-id-to-thread: id="<t4id7t31clz.fsf@silas-1.cc.monash.edu.au>"
| | 3 <- gnus-id-to-thread: nil
| 2 <- gnus-id-to-header: nil
| 2 -> gnus-id-to-thread: id="<t4id7t31clz.fsf@silas-1.cc.monash.edu.au>"
| 2 <- gnus-id-to-thread: ([-1 "[helpdesk@cc.monash.edu.au] long running job" "Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>" "22 Nov 1999 13:31:04 +1100" "<t4id7t31clz.fsf@silas-1.cc.monash.edu.au>" nil 0 60 "towncrier.cc.monash.edu.au monash.test:12854" nil])
| 2 -> gnus-id-to-thread: id="<t4id7t31clz.fsf@silas-1.cc.monash.edu.au>"
| 2 <- gnus-id-to-thread: ([-1 "[helpdesk@cc.monash.edu.au] long running job" "Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>" "22 Nov 1999 13:31:04 +1100" "<t4id7t31clz.fsf@silas-1.cc.monash.edu.au>" nil 0 60 "towncrier.cc.monash.edu.au monash.test:12854" nil])
| 2 -> gnus-id-to-thread: id="<t4id7t31clz.fsf@silas-1.cc.monash.edu.au>"
| 2 <- gnus-id-to-thread: ([-1 "[helpdesk@cc.monash.edu.au] long running job" "Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>" "22 Nov 1999 13:31:04 +1100" "<t4id7t31clz.fsf@silas-1.cc.monash.edu.au>" nil 0 60 "towncrier.cc.monash.edu.au monash.test:12854" nil])
| 2 -> gnus-id-to-thread: id="<t4id7t31clz.fsf@silas-1.cc.monash.edu.au>"
| 2 <- gnus-id-to-thread: ([-1 "[helpdesk@cc.monash.edu.au] long running job" "Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>" "22 Nov 1999 13:31:04 +1100" "<t4id7t31clz.fsf@silas-1.cc.monash.edu.au>" nil 0 60 "towncrier.cc.monash.edu.au monash.test:12854" nil])
| 2 -> gnus-id-to-thread: id="<t4id7t31clz.fsf@silas-1.cc.monash.edu.au>"
| 2 <- gnus-id-to-thread: ([-1 "[helpdesk@cc.monash.edu.au] long running job" "Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>" "22 Nov 1999 13:31:04 +1100" "<t4id7t31clz.fsf@silas-1.cc.monash.edu.au>" nil 0 60 "towncrier.cc.monash.edu.au monash.test:12854" nil])

The following function appears to be where it gets stuck:

(defun gnus-id-to-thread (id)
  "Return the (sub-)thread where ID appears."
  (gnus-gethash id gnus-newsgroup-dependencies))

This function returns nil - I think that is wrong.

So, for the record (not that I really know what I am doing ;-) ),
here is the variable gnus-newsgroup-dependencies:

[-- Attachment #4: gnus-newsgroup-dependencies --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 842 bytes --]

`gnus-newsgroup-dependencies' is a variable declared in Lisp.

Value: [0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 none 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 <t4iogcwe30h\.fsf@silas-2\.cc\.monash\.edu\.au> 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 <t4id7t31clz\.fsf@silas-1\.cc\.monash\.edu\.au> 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 <t4ihfibqp0y\.fsf@silas-1\.cc\.monash\.edu\.au> 0]
This value is specific to the current buffer.
Its default-value is nil

Documentation:
not documented as a variable.

I don't understand gnus-gethash or why it is failing.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-01 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au> writes:

> At home, the first two commands would look more like (edited to
> look like the expected form):
> 19991125T093917.704 newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au HEAD <38385A79.8410721@mcn.net>
> 19991125T093917.902 newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au ARTICLE 34479

[...]

If you telnet to the server and say just

HEAD <38385A79.8410721@mcn.net>

to it, do you get the complete header, including this Xref line?

* Re: Bugs in PGnus
@ 1999-12-01 19:22 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-01 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au> writes:

> 2. As I already mentioned, threading often has problems, as messages
> are put with the wrong thread. This seems to be because "Y c"
> inserts cached articles at the *current* cursor position, and not in
> thread order. Pushing "T t" on the broken thread fixes it.

Does this only happen with the cached articles, or with the other
similar commands (`j', `^', `M-^') as well?

> 4. I sent myself a HTML file (please ask if you want a copy) that
> displays OK in X-Windows, but in a text-mode console, the top
> of the file is missing,

Could it be that w3 renders the message in a font that's not, er,
visible?

> According to weblint, the "content=" should be quoted. However,
> I didn't write this HTML, so it is outside my control. PGnus
> gets *very* confused and displays:
>
> html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>

This has been fixed in more recent versions of w3.

> Another problem with this message is that in text mode xemacs,
> the actual content is invisible (black on black) - probably because the HTML
> sets the background color, but not the foreground color - Stupid!
> No wonder - it is "MSHTML" ;-).

There are w3 variables for customizing a bunch of font things.  Newer
version of w3 are very good at coping with all sorts of totally broken
HTML.

> However, while PGnus will display an entry for the cached article, it
> refuses to display the contents of this article:
>
> Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-article-decode-hook

That's very odd.  (Time passes.)  Aha!  It's the old
binding-a-variable-before-its-defvar-is-loaded thing.  Fix in cvs.

* Re: Bugs in PGnus
@ 1999-12-02  1:32       ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 1999-12-02  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lars> If you telnet to the server and say just

    Lars> HEAD <38385A79.8410721@mcn.net>

    Lars> to it, do you get the complete header, including this Xref line?

Yes.

head 31325
[...]

and

head <87u2m2482f.fsf_-_@tux.tuxoncd.de>
[...]

while some things are messed up on this news server, that
seems to be OK.

xover 31325
224 data follows
31325   Re: .procmailrc and gnus - sorry        Holger Nassenstein <h.nassenstein@gmx.de>       Wed,  1 Dec 1999 23:24:07 +0100 <87u2m2482f.fsf_-_@tux.tuxoncd.de>      <87puwsxalx.fsf@tux.tuxoncd.de> <vaf3dtn6592.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>       1900    42      Xref: towncrier.cc.monash.edu.au gnu.emacs.gnus:31325
.

xover <87u2m2482f.fsf_-_@tux.tuxoncd.de>
224 data follows
.

(I suspect this is an illegal command).

    Lars> Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au> writes:

    >> 2. As I already mentioned, threading often has problems, as messages
    >> are put with the wrong thread. This seems to be because "Y c"
    >> inserts cached articles at the *current* cursor position, and not in
    >> thread order. Pushing "T t" on the broken thread fixes it.

    Lars> Does this only happen with the cached articles, or with the other
    Lars> similar commands (`j', `^', `M-^') as well?

j - yes.
M-^ - yes, same problem for both.

^ - no, I would expect articles to appear above the cursor anyway.
This doesn't mean there isn't a problem though.

All so, something I didn't expect, M-^ will fetched the article
from another newsgroup and insert into the current group. This
is probably normal, but unexpected for me.

If this is the case, the IMHO, followups to multiple
messages should be cross posted to both groups (currently
it only goes to one group).

    >> 4. I sent myself a HTML file (please ask if you want a copy) that
    >> displays OK in X-Windows, but in a text-mode console, the top
    >> of the file is missing,

    Lars> Could it be that w3 renders the message in a font that's not, er,
    Lars> visible?

I don't think so (at least not for all messages).

    >> According to weblint, the "content=" should be quoted. However,
    >> I didn't write this HTML, so it is outside my control. PGnus
    >> gets *very* confused and displays:
    >>
    >> html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>

    Lars> This has been fixed in more recent versions of w3.

Yes.  I suddenly realized the version I was using is an early
beta version, supplied with xemacs (I think).

    >> Another problem with this message is that in text mode xemacs,
    >> the actual content is invisible (black on black) - probably
    >> because the HTML sets the background color, but not the
    >> foreground color - Stupid!  No wonder - it is "MSHTML" ;-).

    Lars> There are w3 variables for customizing a bunch of font
    Lars> things.  Newer version of w3 are very good at coping with
    Lars> all sorts of totally broken HTML.

There is one web page where the newest W3 version is worse then
the old - http://dictionary.com/ - none of the content is shown.

I tried to send a bug report with the automatic bug utility (which
didn't use Gnus, but its own message editor :-( ), but haven't
received a reply yet.

However, the newer version generally seems better.

Oh... on the topic of bug reports, I tried to send a bug report on
supercite, as it gets confused with some "From" addresses[1], but the bug
report bounced. Anyone know the correct address for sc bug reports?

(note[1]: is this an legal address? eg
"Brian=20A.=20May"@somwhere.fidonet.org, which my Fidonet gateway
converted (including quotes) from the Fidonet address "Brian A. May" )

    >> However, while PGnus will display an entry for the cached article, it
    >> refuses to display the contents of this article:
    >>
    >> Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-article-decode-hook

    Lars> That's very odd.  (Time passes.)  Aha!  It's the old
    Lars> binding-a-variable-before-its-defvar-is-loaded thing.  Fix in cvs.

Thanks.

PS. I haven't tried PGnus 0.99 yet, will do so ASAP.
--

@ 1999-12-06  4:10         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-06  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au> writes:

>     Lars> to it, do you get the complete header, including this Xref line?
>
> Yes.

Find the article you want to `^', and then eval the following:

(deffoo nntp-request-article (article &optional group server buffer command)
  (nntp-possibly-change-group group server)
  (when (nntp-send-command-and-decode
	 "\r?\n\\.\r?\n" "ARTICLE"
	 (if (numberp article) (int-to-string article) article))
    (debug (if (and buffer
                    (not (equal buffer nntp-server-buffer)))
               (save-excursion
                 (set-buffer nntp-server-buffer)
                 (copy-to-buffer buffer (point-min) (point-max))
                 (nntp-find-group-and-number))
             (nntp-find-group-and-number)))))

Then `^'.

This will make Emacs pop you into a debug buffer that will tell you
what `nntp-find-group-and-number' guessed.  If the guess is wrong, go
to the " *nntpd*" buffer and see what's there.

* Re: Bugs in PGnus
@ 1999-12-06 23:11           ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 1999-12-06 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lars> Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au> writes: to it, do you
    Lars> get the complete header, including this Xref line?
    >> Yes.

    Lars> Find the article you want to `^', and then eval the
    Lars> following:

    Lars> (deffoo nntp-request-article (article &optional group server
    Lars> buffer command) (nntp-possibly-change-group group server)
    Lars> (when (nntp-send-command-and-decode "\r?\n\\.\r?\n"
    Lars> "ARTICLE" (if (numberp article) (int-to-string article)
    Lars> article)) (debug (if (and buffer (not (equal buffer
    Lars> nntp-server-buffer))) (save-excursion (set-buffer
    Lars> nntp-server-buffer) (copy-to-buffer buffer (point-min)
    Lars> (point-max)) (nntp-find-group-and-number))
    Lars> (nntp-find-group-and-number)))))

    Lars> Then `^'.

I hope I did that correctly...

    Lars> This will make Emacs pop you into a debug buffer that will
    Lars> tell you what `nntp-find-group-and-number' guessed.  If the
    Lars> guess is wrong, go to the " *nntpd*" buffer and see what's
    Lars> there.

below is the debug buffer - I can't see any calls to
nntp-find-group-and-number nor can I find a *nntpd* buffer.

I don't know where it got -1 from.

The parent article has the following headers:

(("gnu.emacs.gnus"))
  (progn (debug (if ... ... ...)))
)
  (if (nntp-send-command-and-decode "\r?\n\\.\r?\n" "ARTICLE" (if ... ... article)) (progn (debug ...)))
)
  (when (nntp-send-command-and-decode "\r?\n\\.\r?\n" "ARTICLE" (if ... ... article)) (debug (if ... ... ...)))
)
  nntp-request-article("<wk66ydmkja.fsf@home.net>" "gnu.emacs.gnus" "newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au" #<buffer "*Article*">)
  gnus-request-article("<wk66ydmkja.fsf@home.net>" "gnu.emacs.gnus" #<buffer "*Article*">)
  gnus-request-article-this-buffer(-1 "gnu.emacs.gnus")
  gnus-article-prepare(-1 nil)
  gnus-summary-display-article(-1 nil)
  gnus-summary-select-article(nil nil nil -1)
  byte-code("\b¬

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #3: Type: text/plain, Size: 5 bytes --]

Á\nDª

Š\b@:

«

ƒ\b

ª

‚\bC

Ã\x1c

‰\x1d

««\r@

‰\x14

Áa«

ƒ\x0e\x06\x14

Ç\f!

ˆ

È\x0e

!‰\x16\n

«



ËÃ

‰‰\x0e\n$ˆ

ÌÍÎ\"

ˆ\rA‰\x15

¬U*ÏÐÑ\x0e

#‡" [gnus-refer-article-method current gnus-select-method nil gnus-override-method --dolist-temp--28727 gnus-current-select-method gnus-check-server gnus-summary-insert-subject message-id number gnus-summary-select-article throw found t gnus-message 3 "Couldn't fetch article %s"] 6)
  gnus-summary-refer-article("<wk66ydmkja.fsf@home.net>")
  gnus-summary-refer-parent-article(1)
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-refer-parent-article)
  recursive-edit()

  byte-code("À

[-- Attachment #28: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --][-- Attachment #29: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

ˆp

ÃÄ\x1d\x1e\x06\x1e\aÈ

ˆ+ebˆ

ˆ`

ÊË!

ˆ

Ìy

ˆ`|ˆ

ˆ\x0e\x0e@

Ïs«

[-- Attachment #42: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #43: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

Ðc

ˆ\x0e\x0e@

Ña«îÒÓÃ\"

ˆ

ÔÌ!

ˆ

Õc

ˆ

Öy

ˆ

ªÝ\x0e\x0e@×a«

Øc

ˆ\x0e\x0eA@\x16\x19

Ú\x0e\x19p\"

ˆ

Ûc

ˆ

ÔÌ!

ˆ

Üc

ˆ

Öy

ˆ

ª¸\x0e\x0e@Ýa«



Þc

ˆ

Ú\x0e\x0eA@p\"

ˆ

Ûc

ˆ

ª¡\x0e\x0e@Ãa«

[-- Attachment #76: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #77: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

ßc

ˆ

ª

[-- Attachment #80: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #81: Type: text/plain, Size: 7 bytes --]

Ú\x0e\x0e@àa«

…\x0e\x0eA

ª

‚\x0e\x0ep\"ˆ

Ûc

ˆ

áâ!

ˆ

ÃàÃ\x1e#\x1e\a\x1e$áâ!

ˆ

ˆ+

‡" [pop-to-buffer debugger-buffer erase-buffer t 50 print-length print-escape-newlines standard-output backtrace debugger-mode re-search-forward "\n[* ] debug(" 1 debugger-reenable debugger-args (lambda debug) "Entering:\n" debug backtrace-debug 3 delete-char ?\* 0 exit "Return value: " debugger-value prin1 ?\n ?\  error "Signaling: " "Beginning evaluation of function call form:\n" nil message "" buffer-read-only inhibit-trace recursive-edit] 3)
  debug(("gnu.emacs.gnus"))
  (progn (debug (if ... ... ...)))
)
  (if (nntp-send-command-and-decode "\r?\n\\.\r?\n" "ARTICLE" (if ... ... article)) (progn (debug ...)))
)
  (when (nntp-send-command-and-decode "\r?\n\\.\r?\n" "ARTICLE" (if ... ... article)) (debug (if ... ... ...)))
)
  nntp-request-article("<wk66ydmkja.fsf@home.net>" "gnu.emacs.gnus" "newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au" #<buffer "*Article*">)
  gnus-request-article("<wk66ydmkja.fsf@home.net>" "gnu.emacs.gnus" #<buffer "*Article*">)
  gnus-request-article-this-buffer(-1 "gnu.emacs.gnus")
  gnus-article-prepare(-1 nil)
  gnus-summary-display-article(-1 nil)
  gnus-summary-select-article(nil nil nil -1)

  byte-code("\b¬

[-- Attachment #96: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #97: Type: text/plain, Size: 5 bytes --]

Á\nDª

Š\b@:

«

ƒ\b

ª

‚\bC

Ã\x1c

‰\x1d

««\r@

‰\x14

Áa«

ƒ\x0e\x06\x14

Ç\f!

ˆ

È\x0e

!‰\x16\n

«



ËÃ

‰‰\x0e\n$ˆ

ÌÍÎ\"

ˆ\rA‰\x15

¬U*ÏÐÑ\x0e

#‡" [gnus-refer-article-method current gnus-select-method nil gnus-override-method --dolist-temp--28727 gnus-current-select-method gnus-check-server gnus-summary-insert-subject message-id number gnus-summary-select-article throw found t gnus-message 3 "Couldn't fetch article %s"] 6)
  gnus-summary-refer-article("<wk66ydmkja.fsf@home.net>")
  gnus-summary-refer-parent-article(1)
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-refer-parent-article)
  recursive-edit()

  byte-code("À

[-- Attachment #122: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --][-- Attachment #123: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

ˆp

ÃÄ\x1d\x1e\x06\x1e\aÈ

ˆ+ebˆ

ˆ`

ÊË!

ˆ

Ìy

ˆ`|ˆ

ˆ\x0e\x0e@

Ïs«

[-- Attachment #136: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #137: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

Ðc

ˆ\x0e\x0e@

Ña«îÒÓÃ\"

ˆ

ÔÌ!

ˆ

Õc

ˆ

Öy

ˆ

ªÝ\x0e\x0e@×a«

Øc

ˆ\x0e\x0eA@\x16\x19

Ú\x0e\x19p\"

ˆ

Ûc

ˆ

ÔÌ!

ˆ

Üc

ˆ

Öy

ˆ

ª¸\x0e\x0e@Ýa«



Þc

ˆ

Ú\x0e\x0eA@p\"

ˆ

Ûc

ˆ

ª¡\x0e\x0e@Ãa«

[-- Attachment #170: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #171: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

ßc

ˆ

ª

[-- Attachment #174: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #175: Type: text/plain, Size: 7 bytes --]

[...]

  nntp-request-article(31448 "gnu.emacs.gnus" "newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au" #<buffer "*Article*">)
  gnus-request-article(31448 "gnu.emacs.gnus" #<buffer "*Article*">)
  gnus-request-article-this-buffer(31448 "gnu.emacs.gnus")
  gnus-article-prepare(31448 nil)
  gnus-summary-display-article(31448 nil)
  gnus-summary-select-article(nil nil pseudo)
  gnus-summary-scroll-up(1)
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-scroll-up)
  recursive-edit()

  byte-code("À

[-- Attachment #190: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --][-- Attachment #191: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

ˆp

ÃÄ\x1d\x1e\x06\x1e\aÈ

ˆ+ebˆ

ˆ`

ÊË!

ˆ

Ìy

ˆ`|ˆ

ˆ\x0e\x0e@

Ïs«

[-- Attachment #204: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #205: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

Ðc

ˆ\x0e\x0e@

Ña«îÒÓÃ\"

ˆ

ÔÌ!

ˆ

Õc

ˆ

Öy

ˆ

ªÝ\x0e\x0e@×a«

Øc

ˆ\x0e\x0eA@\x16\x19

Ú\x0e\x19p\"

ˆ

Ûc

ˆ

ÔÌ!

ˆ

Üc

ˆ

Öy

ˆ

ª¸\x0e\x0e@Ýa«



Þc

ˆ

Ú\x0e\x0eA@p\"

ˆ

Ûc

ˆ

ª¡\x0e\x0e@Ãa«

[-- Attachment #238: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #239: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

ßc

ˆ

ª

[-- Attachment #242: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #243: Type: text/plain, Size: 7 bytes --]

[...]

[-- Attachment #258: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #259: Type: text/plain, Size: 5 bytes --]

Á\nDª

Š\b@:

«

ƒ\b

ª

‚\bC

Ã\x1c

‰\x1d

««\r@

‰\x14

Áa«

ƒ\x0e\x06\x14

Ç\f!

ˆ

È\x0e

!‰\x16\n

«



ËÃ

‰‰\x0e\n$ˆ

ÌÍÎ\"

ˆ\rA‰\x15

¬U*ÏÐÑ\x0e

#‡" [gnus-refer-article-method current gnus-select-method nil gnus-override-method --dolist-temp--28727 gnus-current-select-method gnus-check-server gnus-summary-insert-subject message-id number gnus-summary-select-article throw found t gnus-message 3 "Couldn't fetch article %s"] 6)
  gnus-summary-refer-article("<wk66ydmkja.fsf@home.net>")
  gnus-summary-refer-parent-article(1)
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-refer-parent-article)
  recursive-edit()

  byte-code("À

[-- Attachment #284: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --][-- Attachment #285: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

ˆp

ÃÄ\x1d\x1e\x06\x1e\aÈ

ˆ+ebˆ

ˆ`

ÊË!

ˆ

Ìy

ˆ`|ˆ

ˆ\x0e\x0e@

Ïs«

[-- Attachment #298: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #299: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

Ðc

ˆ\x0e\x0e@

Ña«îÒÓÃ\"

ˆ

ÔÌ!

ˆ

Õc

ˆ

Öy

ˆ

ªÝ\x0e\x0e@×a«

Øc

ˆ\x0e\x0eA@\x16\x19

Ú\x0e\x19p\"

ˆ

Ûc

ˆ

ÔÌ!

ˆ

Üc

ˆ

Öy

ˆ

ª¸\x0e\x0e@Ýa«



Þc

ˆ

Ú\x0e\x0eA@p\"

ˆ

Ûc

ˆ

ª¡\x0e\x0e@Ãa«

[-- Attachment #332: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #333: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

ßc

ˆ

ª

[-- Attachment #336: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #337: Type: text/plain, Size: 7 bytes --]

[...]

[-- Attachment #352: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --][-- Attachment #353: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

ˆp

ÃÄ\x1d\x1e\x06\x1e\aÈ

ˆ+ebˆ

ˆ`

ÊË!

ˆ

Ìy

ˆ`|ˆ

ˆ\x0e\x0e@

Ïs«

[-- Attachment #366: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #367: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

Ðc

ˆ\x0e\x0e@

Ña«îÒÓÃ\"

ˆ

ÔÌ!

ˆ

Õc

ˆ

Öy

ˆ

ªÝ\x0e\x0e@×a«

Øc

ˆ\x0e\x0eA@\x16\x19

Ú\x0e\x19p\"

ˆ

Ûc

ˆ

ÔÌ!

ˆ

Üc

ˆ

Öy

ˆ

ª¸\x0e\x0e@Ýa«



Þc

ˆ

Ú\x0e\x0eA@p\"

ˆ

Ûc

ˆ

ª¡\x0e\x0e@Ãa«

[-- Attachment #400: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #401: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

ßc

ˆ

ª

[-- Attachment #404: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #405: Type: text/plain, Size: 7 bytes --]

[...]

[-- Attachment #420: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --][-- Attachment #421: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

ˆp

ÃÄ\x1d\x1e\x06\x1e\aÈ

ˆ+ebˆ

ˆ`

ÊË!

ˆ

Ìy

ˆ`|ˆ

ˆ\x0e\x0e@

Ïs«

[-- Attachment #434: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #435: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

Ðc

ˆ\x0e\x0e@

Ña«îÒÓÃ\"

ˆ

ÔÌ!

ˆ

Õc

ˆ

Öy

ˆ

ªÝ\x0e\x0e@×a«

Øc

ˆ\x0e\x0eA@\x16\x19

Ú\x0e\x19p\"

ˆ

Ûc

ˆ

ÔÌ!

ˆ

Üc

ˆ

Öy

ˆ

ª¸\x0e\x0e@Ýa«



Þc

ˆ

Ú\x0e\x0eA@p\"

ˆ

Ûc

ˆ

ª¡\x0e\x0e@Ãa«

[-- Attachment #468: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #469: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

ßc

ˆ

ª

[-- Attachment #472: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #473: Type: text/plain, Size: 7 bytes --]

[...]

[-- Attachment #488: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #489: Type: text/plain, Size: 5 bytes --]

Á\nDª

Š\b@:

«

ƒ\b

ª

‚\bC

Ã\x1c

‰\x1d

««\r@

‰\x14

Áa«

ƒ\x0e\x06\x14

Ç\f!

ˆ

È\x0e

!‰\x16\n

«



ËÃ

‰‰\x0e\n$ˆ

ÌÍÎ\"

ˆ\rA‰\x15

¬U*ÏÐÑ\x0e

#‡" [gnus-refer-article-method current gnus-select-method nil gnus-override-method --dolist-temp--28727 gnus-current-select-method gnus-check-server gnus-summary-insert-subject message-id number gnus-summary-select-article throw found t gnus-message 3 "Couldn't fetch article %s"] 6)
  gnus-summary-refer-article("<wk66ydmkja.fsf@home.net>")
  gnus-summary-refer-parent-article(1)
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-refer-parent-article)
  recursive-edit()

  byte-code("À

[-- Attachment #514: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --][-- Attachment #515: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

ˆp

ÃÄ\x1d\x1e\x06\x1e\aÈ

ˆ+ebˆ

ˆ`

ÊË!

ˆ

Ìy

ˆ`|ˆ

ˆ\x0e\x0e@

Ïs«

[-- Attachment #528: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #529: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

Ðc

ˆ\x0e\x0e@

Ña«îÒÓÃ\"

ˆ

ÔÌ!

ˆ

Õc

ˆ

Öy

ˆ

ªÝ\x0e\x0e@×a«

Øc

ˆ\x0e\x0eA@\x16\x19

Ú\x0e\x19p\"

ˆ

Ûc

ˆ

ÔÌ!

ˆ

Üc

ˆ

Öy

ˆ

ª¸\x0e\x0e@Ýa«



Þc

ˆ

Ú\x0e\x0eA@p\"

ˆ

Ûc

ˆ

ª¡\x0e\x0e@Ãa«

[-- Attachment #562: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #563: Type: text/plain, Size: 2 bytes --]

ßc

ˆ

ª

[-- Attachment #566: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #567: Type: text/plain, Size: 7 bytes --]

[...]

[-- Attachment #582: Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --][-- Attachment #583: Type: text/plain, Size: 5 bytes --]

Á\nDª

Š\b@:

«

ƒ\b

ª

‚\bC

Ã\x1c

‰\x1d

««\r@

‰\x14

Áa«

ƒ\x0e\x06\x14

Ç\f!

ˆ

È\x0e

!‰\x16\n

«



@ 1999-12-07 18:09             ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-12-07 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

Lars> This will make Emacs pop you into a debug buffer that will tell
Lars> you what `nntp-find-group-and-number' guessed.  If the guess is
Lars> wrong, go to the " *nntpd*" buffer and see what's there.

Brian> below is the debug buffer - I can't see any calls to

Two or three steps more, you will see nntp-find-group-and-number.

Brian> nntp-find-group-and-number nor can I find a *nntpd* buffer.

Please notice the space before *.

Brian> I don't know where it got -1 from.

-1 is the temporal article number.

Brian> The parent article has the following headers:

Brian> Message-ID: <ulg0xfx53p.fsf@wahoo.princeton.idaccr.org>
Brian> References: <wk66ydmkja.fsf@home.net>
Brian> NNTP-Posting-Host: wahoo.princeton.idaccr.org
Brian> X-Newsreader: Gnus v5.6.45/Emacs 19.34
Brian> Xref: towncrier.cc.monash.edu.au gnu.emacs.gnus:31448

Brian> (("gnu.emacs.gnus"))
Brian>   (progn (debug (if ... ... ...)))
Brian> )
Brian>   (if (nntp-send-command-and-decode "\r?\n\\.\r?\n" "ARTICLE" (if ... ... article)) (progn (debug ...)))
Brian> )
Brian>   (when (nntp-send-command-and-decode "\r?\n\\.\r?\n" "ARTICLE" (if ... ... article)) (debug (if ... ... ...)))
Brian> )
Brian>   nntp-request-article("<wk66ydmkja.fsf@home.net>" "gnu.emacs.gnus" "newsserver.cc.monash.edu.au" #<buffer "*Article*">)
Brian>   gnus-request-article("<wk66ydmkja.fsf@home.net>" "gnu.emacs.gnus" #<buffer "*Article*">)
Brian>   gnus-request-article-this-buffer(-1 "gnu.emacs.gnus")
Brian>   gnus-article-prepare(-1 nil)
Brian>   gnus-summary-display-article(-1 nil)
Brian>   gnus-summary-select-article(nil nil nil -1)

[...]

--
Shenghuo