* message-tab is broken
@ 2001-08-08  9:43 Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-08-08  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

	The bug probably comes from this:

 ,----
| 2001-07-16 12:00:00  ShengHuo ZHU  <zsh@cs.rochester.edu>
|         From:  Stefan Monnier  <monnier@cs.yale.edu>
|
|         * message.el (message-mode): Use define-derived-mode.
|         (message-tab): message-completion-alist.
`-----

	The function has been (gratuitously ?) changed to call
`indent-line-function ' instead of `tab-to-tab-stop'. As a consequence,
hitting tab in the message body doesn't insert the expected tabulation because
what's really done is `indent-to-left-margin'.

Why has this change been made ? Are there any objections if I change it back ?

--
Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 53 14 59 47
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 44 08 01 99   didier@xemacs.org

* Re: message-tab is broken
@ 2001-08-08 11:43 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-08 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

> 	The function has been (gratuitously ?) changed to call
> `indent-line-function ' instead of `tab-to-tab-stop'. As a
> consequence, hitting tab in the message body doesn't insert the
> expected tabulation because what's really done is
> `indent-to-left-margin'.
>
> Why has this change been made ? Are there any objections if I change
> it back ?

Why not change indent-line-function to indent-relative-maybe, for
example?  Or to tab-to-tab-stop, if you like.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: message-tab is broken
@ 2001-08-08 11:54   ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-08-08 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Gnus Beta Testers

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:
>
>> 	The function has been (gratuitously ?) changed to call
>> `indent-line-function ' instead of `tab-to-tab-stop'. As a
>> consequence, hitting tab in the message body doesn't insert the
>> expected tabulation because what's really done is
>> `indent-to-left-margin'.
>>
>> Why has this change been made ? Are there any objections if I change
>> it back ?
>
> Why not change indent-line-function to indent-relative-maybe, for
> example?  Or to tab-to-tab-stop, if you like.

	The problem with the `relative' family is that if the previous non
blank line is not indented, you wouldn't get the tab. Maybe
`indent-for-tab-command' would be the best choice ?

--

@ 2001-08-08 14:20     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-08 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

> 	The problem with the `relative' family is that if the previous non
> blank line is not indented, you wouldn't get the tab. Maybe
> `indent-for-tab-command' would be the best choice ?

Whatever.  My point was, rather than calling a different function,
change the value of indent-line-function.  Do you agree?

kai
--

@ 2001-08-08 15:42       ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-08-08 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Gnus Beta Testers

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:
>
>> 	The problem with the `relative' family is that if the previous non
>> blank line is not indented, you wouldn't get the tab. Maybe
>> `indent-for-tab-command' would be the best choice ?
>
> Whatever.  My point was, rather than calling a different function,
> change the value of indent-line-function.  Do you agree?

        Huh, why not, but that sounds over complicated to me. message-tab
already handles its special cases (in headers). Why does it need to do complex
stuff just to get tabs otherwise ?

--

@ 2001-08-08 19:29         ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2001-08-08 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Gnus Beta Testers

Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

>         Huh, why not, but that sounds over complicated to
> me. message-tab already handles its special cases (in headers). Why
> does it need to do complex stuff just to get tabs otherwise ?

Please, change it back as it ever was; it used to work perfect--the
current behavior is annoying.  Thanks for trying to cure this "feature"!

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o

* Re: message-tab is broken
@ 2001-08-08 22:30     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-08-08 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
>
>> Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:
>>
>>> 	The function has been (gratuitously ?) changed to call
>>> `indent-line-function ' instead of `tab-to-tab-stop'. As a
>>> consequence, hitting tab in the message body doesn't insert the
>>> expected tabulation because what's really done is
>>> `indent-to-left-margin'.
>>>
>>> Why has this change been made ? Are there any objections if I change
>>> it back ?
>>
>> Why not change indent-line-function to indent-relative-maybe, for
>> example?  Or to tab-to-tab-stop, if you like.
>
> 	The problem with the `relative' family is that if the previous non
> blank line is not indented, you wouldn't get the tab. Maybe
> `indent-for-tab-command' would be the best choice ?

I've bind it to indent-relative, to which TAB is bound in text mode.

ShengHuo