* agent and mail-source
@ 1999-11-19  7:07 Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-11-19  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using agent to cover the remote news servers (I hate the low
speed of the Internet). But in unplugged mode, gnus also unplugs the
local mail. Now I defadvice gnus-request-scan which make life a bit
easier.

But I am thinking to implement a parameter for mail-source, say
`:level'.  Level 1 is local, i.e. gnus will fetch the mail source
whenever it is plugged or not; level 3 (default) is remote, i.e. gnus
fetch the mail source only if it is plugged; level 6 is unactive
source, i.e. gnus does not fetch the mail unless in some special
cases.

For this reason, `:level' is a common parameter, i.e. each type of
mail source has this parameter. Therefore, put it in a common keywords
list variable, named `mail-source-common-keywords'. Another example in
this variable like `:ignore-error', which is mentioned in a previous
message of mine.

Any suggestion?

--
Shenghuo

* Re: agent and mail-source
@ 1999-12-01 18:36 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-01 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> But I am thinking to implement a parameter for mail-source, say
> `:level'.  Level 1 is local, i.e. gnus will fetch the mail source
> whenever it is plugged or not; level 3 (default) is remote, i.e. gnus
> fetch the mail source only if it is plugged; level 6 is unactive
> source, i.e. gnus does not fetch the mail unless in some special
> cases.

Yes, this sounds like a good idea.  But isn't this really more of a
boolean thing?  If we're unplugged, we either do or don't want the
mail sources to kick in, so perhaps instead of :level we would have
something like :plugged that could have value nil or t?

> For this reason, `:level' is a common parameter, i.e. each type of
> mail source has this parameter. Therefore, put it in a common keywords
> list variable, named `mail-source-common-keywords'.

Yup.

* Re: agent and mail-source
@ 1999-12-01 22:50   ` Shenghuo ZHU
       [not found]     ` <ur9h614pg.fsf_-_@TimesTen.com>
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-12-01 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

LMI> Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>> But I am thinking to implement a parameter for mail-source, say
>> `:level'.  Level 1 is local, i.e. gnus will fetch the mail source
>> whenever it is plugged or not; level 3 (default) is remote, i.e. gnus
>> fetch the mail source only if it is plugged; level 6 is unactive
>> source, i.e. gnus does not fetch the mail unless in some special
>> cases.

LMI> Yes, this sounds like a good idea.  But isn't this really more of a
LMI> boolean thing?  If we're unplugged, we either do or don't want the
LMI> mail sources to kick in, so perhaps instead of :level we would have
LMI> something like :plugged that could have value nil or t?

>> For this reason, `:level' is a common parameter, i.e. each type of
>> mail source has this parameter. Therefore, put it in a common keywords
>> list variable, named `mail-source-common-keywords'.

LMI> Yup.

[...]

Done.

Now I use

(setq mail-sources
        '((file :plugged t)
          (webmail :subtype yahoo :user "shenghuo")))

Local mail is always checked, while Yahoo mail is checked only when
plugged.

--
Shenghuo

* Re: webmail/yahoo problems
       [not found]     ` <ur9h614pg.fsf_-_@TimesTen.com>
@ 1999-12-02  3:46       ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-12-02  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

David> Hi.  I tried accessing my yahoo mail using webmail, and had some
David> problems.  I did this:

David>   (push '(webmail :subtype yahoo :user "aspin") mail-sources)

David> then tried to get new mail.  These came out in the *Messages* buffer:

David>   nnml: Reading incoming mail from webmail...
David>   Password for aspin at yahoo:
David>   Password for aspin at yahoo: .
David>   Password for aspin at yahoo: ..
David>   Password for aspin at yahoo: ...
David>   Password for aspin at yahoo: .........
David>   Contacting mail.yahoo.com:80
David>   Reading [text/plain]... 393 bytes
David>   Retrieval complete. [2 times]
David>   Mark set
David>   Retrieval complete. [8 times]
David>   Contacting edit.yahoo.com:80
David>   Retrieval complete. [6 times]

David> But then a *W3-WARNINGS* buffer appeared, with this:

David>   (url/error) The URL http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?749hhtagc98rc tried to issue a redirect to http://login.yahoo.com/config/verify?.done=http%3a//edit.yahoo.com/config/mail%3f.intl= using a method other than
David>   GET, which can open up various security holes.  Please see the
David>   HTTP/1.0 specification for more details.

David> And this in the minibuf:

David>   Mail source error ((error Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size)).

David> I set debug-on-error to t, but there wasn't any trace.

David> The environment is Windows NT with:
David>   emacs-version "20.4.1"
David>   gnus-version "Pterodactyl Gnus v0.99"
David>   w3-version "WWW 4.0pre.46 1999/10/01 20:22:11"

David> Do you have any idea what might be going wrong?

David> Thanks for all your work on gnus.

To use webmail, you need patch w3, since Yahoo only accept one line
cookie. I've sent the patch to the ding list when I announced the
function.

Don't worry about the *W3-WARNINGS* buffer. It is OK. It is because
the status code returned from web server is not so standard, and w3
think it is not secure.

--
Shenghuo