* Gnus doesn't display all parts of a multipart message
@ 2001-07-19 15:46 Hannu Koivisto
From: Hannu Koivisto @ 2001-07-19 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

I got a weird mail from a colleague who uses Outlook.  To me it
seems to be a multipart message where the first part is also a
multipart message, which consists of two alternative parts (plain
text and HTML).  The rest of the top-level parts are images.  The
top-level multipart message, as far as I can see, is not
multipart/alternative, but multipart/related, or at least that's
what I think it should be.  Not that I really know what
multipart/related means, but I can guess :)  In any case, Gnus
displays only the other alternative (text message) from the first
part but not the other top-level parts (images) so I can't
save them.

The mail (stored from a buffer gotten with ``C-u g'') is available
at <http://www.iki.fi/azure/var/bugreports/mimekala.txt>.  I have
edited all the content away -- I hope I didn't fuck up anything
relevant while doing that (I left some content to all parts).

Perhaps you can tell if there is something wrong with the mail
(i.e. Outlook is faulty) or that it is ok and those image-parts
should be displayed (i.e. Gnus is faulty).

I'm somewhat old OGnus dated 2001-04-12 in Emacs 20.7.  If you
think this is something that is fixed in the latest CVS version,
I'll try it (if you don't think so, I'd rather keep using this one
as it works otherwise fine).

Thanks,
--
Hannu
Please don't send copies of list mail

* Re: Gnus doesn't display all parts of a multipart message
@ 2001-07-20 18:04 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-07-20 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hannu Koivisto <azure@iki.fi> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I got a weird mail from a colleague who uses Outlook.  To me it
> seems to be a multipart message where the first part is also a
> multipart message, which consists of two alternative parts (plain
> text and HTML).  The rest of the top-level parts are images.  The
> top-level multipart message, as far as I can see, is not
> multipart/alternative, but multipart/related, or at least that's
> what I think it should be.  Not that I really know what
> multipart/related means, but I can guess :)  In any case, Gnus
> displays only the other alternative (text message) from the first
> part but not the other top-level parts (images) so I can't
> save them.
>
> The mail (stored from a buffer gotten with ``C-u g'') is available
> at <http://www.iki.fi/azure/var/bugreports/mimekala.txt>.  I have
> edited all the content away -- I hope I didn't fuck up anything
> relevant while doing that (I left some content to all parts).
>
> Perhaps you can tell if there is something wrong with the mail
> (i.e. Outlook is faulty) or that it is ok and those image-parts
> should be displayed (i.e. Gnus is faulty).

Gnus is not faulty but not fully implemented.

(setq gnus-mime-display-multipart-related-as-mixed t) works around the
problem.

ShengHuo

* Re: Gnus doesn't display all parts of a multipart message
@ 2001-08-19 19:34 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-08-19 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hannu Koivisto <azure@iki.fi> writes:

> The top-level multipart message, as far as I can see, is not
> multipart/alternative, but multipart/related, or at least that's
> what I think it should be.

Gnus should be able to display multipart/related if you have w3
installed.  The first part is usually an HTML document.