* BUG: mm-display-external requires an xterm
@ 2001-07-12 18:15 Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2001-07-12 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

When mm-display-external decides that a mailcap entry needs a
terminal, it unconditionally fires off "xterm".  There are two
problems:

1) It tries to run the xterm even if window-system is nil.

   My mailcap has text/html being shown with lynx.  If I'm running
   emacs within an xterm, shouldn't emacs just temporarily shell out
   to lynx?

1) What if I want rxvt instead?  Or maybe ETerm?  Perhaps there should
   be a gnus-external-terminal variable.  This is minor.

* Re: BUG: mm-display-external requires an xterm
@ 2001-07-12 23:50 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-07-12 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Armstrong <matt@lickey.com> writes:

> When mm-display-external decides that a mailcap entry needs a
> terminal, it unconditionally fires off "xterm".  There are two
> problems:
>
> 1) It tries to run the xterm even if window-system is nil.
>
>    My mailcap has text/html being shown with lynx.  If I'm running
>    emacs within an xterm, shouldn't emacs just temporarily shell out
>    to lynx?

I've fixed it in the Gnus CVS. term.el is used for running lynx.

> 1) What if I want rxvt instead?  Or maybe ETerm?  Perhaps there should
>    be a gnus-external-terminal variable.  This is minor.

mm-external-terminal-program is added.

ShengHuo

* Re: BUG: mm-display-external requires an xterm
@ 2001-07-13 18:12   ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2001-07-13 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Matt Armstrong <matt@lickey.com> writes:
>
>> When mm-display-external decides that a mailcap entry needs a
>> terminal, it unconditionally fires off "xterm".  There are two
>> problems:
>>
>> 1) It tries to run the xterm even if window-system is nil.
>>
>>    My mailcap has text/html being shown with lynx.  If I'm running
>>    emacs within an xterm, shouldn't emacs just temporarily shell out
>>    to lynx?
>
> I've fixed it in the Gnus CVS. term.el is used for running lynx.

Good idea.  Now I have two more problems.  :-)

1) The new term.el stuff is a little buggy.  If it shows html, it
   launches lynx (actually w3m) in a buffer called *display* but does
   not make *display* visible, so it stays burried below the empty
   *Article* buffer.

   When I switch to the *display* buffer, I see the html, but when I
   quit w3m I'm left with a dead *display* buffer.  Maybe it should
   switch back to the *Article* buffer?  Or kill the *display* buffer?

   When I switch to the *Summary* buffer, things are broken.  I can't
   select the next article -- it starts raising errors related to the
   *Article* buffer.  I know this is a bad bug report -- I can narrow
   it down when I have more time if needed.

2) When I view a multipart/alternative that has text/plain and
   text/html, Gnus is trying to show the html.  I want it to prefer
   text/plain.

   Is this the best way to do this?

    (setq mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display))

   I remember there used to be a variable that would list the
   preferred order of display.  E.g. it'd prefer text/plain over
   text/html by default.  Is that gone?

   I'm fine with text/html being automatically displayed, but only as
   a last resort.  ;-)

* Re: BUG: mm-display-external requires an xterm
@ 2001-07-13 21:00     ` Colin Walters
From: Colin Walters @ 2001-07-13 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Armstrong <matt@lickey.com> writes:

> 2) When I view a multipart/alternative that has text/plain and
> text/html, Gnus is trying to show the html.  I want it to prefer
> text/plain.

I believe you do this with

(add-to-list 'mm-discouraged-alternatives "text/html")

* Re: BUG: mm-display-external requires an xterm
@ 2001-07-24 17:53     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-07-24 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Armstrong <matt@lickey.com> writes:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
>> Matt Armstrong <matt@lickey.com> writes:
>>
>>> When mm-display-external decides that a mailcap entry needs a
>>> terminal, it unconditionally fires off "xterm".  There are two
>>> problems:
>>>
>>> 1) It tries to run the xterm even if window-system is nil.
>>>
>>>    My mailcap has text/html being shown with lynx.  If I'm running
>>>    emacs within an xterm, shouldn't emacs just temporarily shell out
>>>    to lynx?
>>
>> I've fixed it in the Gnus CVS. term.el is used for running lynx.
>
> Good idea.  Now I have two more problems.  :-)
>
> 1) The new term.el stuff is a little buggy.  If it shows html, it
>    launches lynx (actually w3m) in a buffer called *display* but does
>    not make *display* visible, so it stays burried below the empty
>    *Article* buffer.
>
>    When I switch to the *display* buffer, I see the html, but when I
>    quit w3m I'm left with a dead *display* buffer.  Maybe it should
>    switch back to the *Article* buffer?  Or kill the *display* buffer?
>
>    When I switch to the *Summary* buffer, things are broken.  I can't
>    select the next article -- it starts raising errors related to the
>    *Article* buffer.  I know this is a bad bug report -- I can narrow
>    it down when I have more time if needed.

Fixed.

ShengHuo