* message keymap not loading
@ 2001-10-03 18:34 Jack Twilley
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jack Twilley @ 2001-10-03 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using CVS Oort and installing it into ~/.xemacs/packages, and
every time I post or send mail, I have to do all the commands by hand.

As an example, I can't C-c C-c, I have to M-x message-send-and-exit RET.

How do I fix this?

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley
jmt at twilley dot org

* Re: message keymap not loading
@ 2001-10-03 18:50 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-10-03 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@twilley.org> writes:

> I'm using CVS Oort and installing it into ~/.xemacs/packages

Oort Gnus isn't a proper XEmacs package AFAIK, so does installing it
there really do the right thing?

* Re: message keymap not loading
@ 2001-10-03 18:56   ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2001-10-03 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack> I'm using CVS Oort and installing it into ~/.xemacs/packages

Simon> Oort Gnus isn't a proper XEmacs package AFAIK, so does
Simon> installing it there really do the right thing?

I use the following script to build and install gnus.

--begin script--
#!/bin/sh
make distclean
cvs update
./configure --with-xemacs --infodir=/home/jmt/.xemacs/packages/info/gnus --with-lispdir=/home/jmt/.xemacs/packages/lisp/gnus --with-etcdir=/home/jmt/.xemacs/packages/etc/gnus
gmake
(cd lisp && xemacs -batch -eval \("setq autoload-package-name \"gnus\""\) -f batch-update-directory . && xemacs -batch -f Custom-make-dependencies ./)
rm -rf /home/jmt/.xemacs/packages/*/gnus
gmake install
--end script--

I have a couple of ideas -- first of which is to add a
batch-update-directory run with autoload-package-name set to first
"gnus", then "message", then "smiley" (what other packages are there
in gnus?) and see how that goes -- but I'm open to suggestions.

Jack.
--

@ 2001-10-04  5:03     ` Amos Gouaux
From: Amos Gouaux @ 2001-10-04  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

jack> ./configure --with-xemacs
jack> --infodir=/home/jmt/.xemacs/packages/info/gnus
jack> --with-lispdir=/home/jmt/.xemacs/packages/lisp/gnus
jack> --with-etcdir=/home/jmt/.xemacs/packages/etc/gnus

I'm doing something similar as well.

jack> rm -rf /home/jmt/.xemacs/packages/*/gnus

Yeah, I probably should do that too.  I've just been lazy and just
installing over the old files.

I also remove the ~/.xemacs/xemacs-packages/info/dir file that gets
installed as that seems to be somewhat unnecessary.

--
Amos

* Re: message keymap not loading
@ 2001-10-04  8:04 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-04  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@twilley.org> writes:

> As an example, I can't C-c C-c, I have to M-x message-send-and-exit RET.

Strange.  When in a message buffer, what is the major mode?  M-:
major-mode RET tells you.

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [OK]  [Cancel]

* Re: message keymap not loading
@ 2001-10-04 16:42   ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2001-10-04 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jack> As an example, I can't C-c C-c, I have to M-x
Jack> message-send-and-exit RET.

Kai> Strange.  When in a message buffer, what is the major mode?  M-:
Kai> major-mode RET tells you.

It tells me message-mode.

@ 2001-10-04 17:08     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-04 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jack Twilley <jmt@twilley.org> writes:

> Jack> As an example, I can't C-c C-c, I have to M-x
> Jack> message-send-and-exit RET.
>
> Kai> Strange.  When in a message buffer, what is the major mode?  M-:
> Kai> major-mode RET tells you.
>
> It tells me message-mode.

When you do M-x message-mode RET in a random buffer (in fundamental
mode), do you get an error message?  Do M-: (setq debug-on-error t)
RET and show us the backtrace.  What does C-h k C-c C-c tell you about
the C-c C-c keybinding in that buffer?

Do you get an error message when composing a message from Gnus?

kai
--

@ 2001-10-04 17:28       ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2001-10-04 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

Kai> When you do M-x message-mode RET in a random buffer (in
Kai> fundamental mode), do you get an error message?  Do M-: (setq
Kai> debug-on-error t) RET and show us the backtrace.  What does C-h k
Kai> C-c C-c tell you about the C-c C-c keybinding in that buffer?

There was no backtrace when I did M-x message-mode RET in the
*scratch* buffer of my current XEmacs session which already has Gnus
running.  C-c C-c is undefined.

Kai> Do you get an error message when composing a message from Gnus?

I do not get an error message when asking Gnus to prepare a message
buffer for an email or a news post.

@ 2001-10-04 18:01         ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2001-10-04 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

What is the value of message-mode-map?  Do you have anything in .emacs
or .gnus that might set it prior to message.el being loaded?
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: message keymap not loading
@ 2001-10-04 19:35           ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2001-10-04 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

David> What is the value of message-mode-map?  Do you have anything in
David> .emacs or .gnus that might set it prior to message.el being
David> loaded?

`message-mode-map' is a variable declared in Lisp.
  -- loaded from "message"

Value: #<keymap message-mode-map 9 entries 0x1b1c>

Documentation:
Keymap for message-mode.

Nothing I have intentionally modifies that variable.

Jack.
--

@ 2001-10-04 21:16         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-04 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@twilley.org> writes:

> There was no backtrace when I did M-x message-mode RET in the
> *scratch* buffer of my current XEmacs session which already has Gnus
> running.  C-c C-c is undefined.

Hm.  Hmmm...

Does M-x list-load-path-shadows RET show you something strange about
your load-path?

What happens when you M-x load-library RET message RET, then go to a
new buffer and do M-x message-mode RET (check the key C-c C-c)?  And
after M-x load-library RET message.el RET, then another new buffer,
then M-x message-mode RET, then C-h k C-c C-c?

kai
--

@ 2001-10-04 21:50           ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2001-10-04 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack> There was no backtrace when I did M-x message-mode RET in the
Jack> *scratch* buffer of my current XEmacs session which already has
Jack> Gnus running.  C-c C-c is undefined.

Kai> Hm.  Hmmm...

Indeed.

Kai> Does M-x list-load-path-shadows RET show you something strange
Kai> about your load-path?

There are a few surprises, but none related to message or gnus.

Kai> What happens when you M-x load-library RET message RET, then go
Kai> to a new buffer and do M-x message-mode RET (check the key C-c
Kai> C-c)?  And after M-x load-library RET message.el RET, then
Kai> another new buffer, then M-x message-mode RET, then C-h k C-c
Kai> C-c?

The first sequence gives me nothing useful.  The second one fails
because no library named message.el is in the path.  I am doing all of
these with my current XEmacs session where I'm also running Gnus, if
that matters.

@ 2001-10-05  8:06             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-05  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Kai> What happens when you M-x load-library RET message RET, then go
> Kai> to a new buffer and do M-x message-mode RET (check the key C-c
> Kai> C-c)?  And after M-x load-library RET message.el RET, then
> Kai> another new buffer, then M-x message-mode RET, then C-h k C-c
> Kai> C-c?
>
> The first sequence gives me nothing useful.

I presume that means that C-c C-c is undefined.

> The second one fails because no library named message.el is in the
> path.  I am doing all of these with my current XEmacs session where
> I'm also running Gnus, if that matters.

You don't have message.el?  This is bad.  Who knows what might be the
problem in this case.  If you had the *.el file, you could look at it
to see whether it contains garbage, but that's not so easy if you only
have the *.elc file.

How did you install XEmacs and Gnus?  Do you think there is a way to
get at the *.el files?  Maybe just reinstall Gnus...

kai
--

@ 2001-10-05 18:29               ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2001-10-05 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai> What happens when you M-x load-library RET message RET, then go
Kai> to a new buffer and do M-x message-mode RET (check the key C-c
Kai> C-c)?  And after M-x load-library RET message.el RET, then
Kai> another new buffer, then M-x message-mode RET, then C-h k C-c
Kai> C-c?

Jack>  The first sequence gives me nothing useful.

Kai> I presume that means that C-c C-c is undefined.

Yes, you presume correctly.

Jack> The second one fails because no library named message.el is in
Jack> the path.  I am doing all of these with my current XEmacs
Jack> session where I'm also running Gnus, if that matters.

Kai> You don't have message.el?  This is bad.  Who knows what might be
Kai> the problem in this case.  If you had the *.el file, you could
Kai> look at it to see whether it contains garbage, but that's not so
Kai> easy if you only have the *.elc file.

Kai> How did you install XEmacs and Gnus?  Do you think there is a way
Kai> to get at the *.el files?  Maybe just reinstall Gnus...

I installed XEmacs out of ports.  I mentioned earlier in the thread
how I installed Gnus.  Here's the current script I use to install CVS
Gnus into my ~/.xemacs/packages directory:

--begin script--
#!/bin/sh
make distclean
cvs update
./configure --with-xemacs --infodir=/home/jmt/.xemacs/packages/info/gnus --with-lispdir=/home/jmt/.xemacs/packages/lisp/gnus --with-etcdir=/home/jmt/.xemacs/packages/etc/gnus
gmake
(cd lisp && for pkg in gnus message smiley; do xemacs -batch -eval \("setq autoload-package-name \"$pkg\""\) -f batch-update-directory . ; done && xemacs -batch -f Custom-make-dependencies ./)
rm -rf /home/jmt/.xemacs/packages/*/gnus
gmake install
--end script--

Kai> kai -- Abort this operation?  [OK] [Cancel]

Jack.
(updating Gnus now)
--

@ 2001-10-05 19:07                 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-05 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@twilley.org> writes:

> gmake install

Ick.  This does not install the *.el files.  I think this is bad.

kai
--

@ 2001-10-08  8:13 ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-10-08  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@twilley.org> wrote:

> I'm using CVS Oort and installing it into ~/.xemacs/packages, and
> every time I post or send mail, I have to do all the commands by hand.
>
> As an example, I can't C-c C-c, I have to M-x message-send-and-exit RET.
>
> How do I fix this?

        I've been bitten by this a couple of time also. AFAICR, this is most
probably due to an unnoticed problem during the compiling or installing phase
of Gnus with XEmacs. You should carefully track all errors occuring during
`make' and also during autoloads creation.

--
Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 53 14 59 47
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 44 08 01 99   didier@xemacs.org

* Re: message keymap not loading
@ 2001-10-08 22:24   ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2001-10-08 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack> I'm using CVS Oort and installing it into ~/.xemacs/packages,
Jack> and every time I post or send mail, I have to do all the
Jack> commands by hand.

Jack> As an example, I can't C-c C-c, I have to M-x
Jack> message-send-and-exit RET.

Jack> How do I fix this?

drv> I've been bitten by this a couple of time also. AFAICR, this is
drv> most probably due to an unnoticed problem during the compiling or
drv> installing phase of Gnus with XEmacs. You should carefully track
drv> all errors occuring during `make' and also during autoloads
drv> creation.

I've attached the log from my last Gnus rebuild as of this morning.

[-- Attachment #2: compressed typescript output of ./buildgnus.sh --]

Jack.
--

@ 2001-10-09  8:38     ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-10-09  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@twilley.org> wrote:

> I've attached the log from my last Gnus rebuild as of this morning.

While compiling toplevel forms in file /v1/home/jmt/cvs/gnus/lisp/gnus-mh.el:
  !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "mh-e"))

[...]

Compiling /v1/home/jmt/cvs/gnus/lisp/auto-autoloads.el...
While compiling message-mode in file /v1/home/jmt/cvs/gnus/lisp/auto-autoloads.el:
  ** reference to free variable message-face-alist
  ** reference to free variable message-mode-menu
  ** reference to free variable message-mode-map
  ** reference to free variable message-mode-field-menu
  ** reference to free variable message-mail-alias-type

I've suffered from the same error IIRC. gnus-mh should probably be
conditionally compiled. This might even have been on my todo list for a
while...

--

@ 2001-10-09 17:32       ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2001-10-09 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack> I've attached the log from my last Gnus rebuild as of this morning.

drv> While compiling toplevel forms in file
drv> /v1/home/jmt/cvs/gnus/lisp/gnus-mh.el: !! File error (("Cannot
drv> open load file" "mh-e"))

I installed mh-e and rebuilt.  I no longer get this error.

drv> Compiling /v1/home/jmt/cvs/gnus/lisp/auto-autoloads.el...  While
drv> compiling message-mode in file
drv> /v1/home/jmt/cvs/gnus/lisp/auto-autoloads.el: ** reference to
drv> free variable message-face-alist ** reference to free variable
drv> message-mode-menu ** reference to free variable message-mode-map
drv> ** reference to free variable message-mode-field-menu **
drv> reference to free variable message-mail-alias-type

drv> I've suffered from the same error IIRC. gnus-mh should probably
drv> be conditionally compiled. This might even have been on my todo
drv> list for a while...

I agree that gnus should not depend on mh-e, or rather that gnus-mh
should be conditionally compiled.  It doesn't seem to be fixing my
broken widget, though, which kinda sucks.

More thoughts?

Jack.
--

@ 2001-10-09 17:57         ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-10-09 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> drv> I've suffered from the same error IIRC. gnus-mh should probably
> drv> be conditionally compiled. This might even have been on my todo
> drv> list for a while...
>
> I agree that gnus should not depend on mh-e, or rather that gnus-mh
> should be conditionally compiled.  It doesn't seem to be fixing my
> broken widget, though, which kinda sucks.

Fixed.

ShengHuo