* Small, but possibly fatal change in nntp.el
@ 2001-01-24 11:30 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-01-24 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just committed a change to nntp.el that makes
nntp-open-connection notice whether it got a 200 response back or not,
and if it didn't, it hangs up.  (This is to avoid recursing infinitely
when getting a 400 response back.)  The way I did it Works For Me, but
if you aren't able to connect to an nntp server, poke around in
nntp-open-connection/nntp-wait-for.

* Re: Small, but possibly fatal change in nntp.el
@ 2001-01-24 22:39 ` Lee Cantey
From: Lee Cantey @ 2001-01-24 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've just committed a change to nntp.el that makes
> nntp-open-connection notice whether it got a 200 response back or
> not, and if it didn't, it hangs up.  (This is to avoid recursing
> infinitely when getting a 400 response back.)  The way I did it
> Works For Me, but if you aren't able to connect to an nntp server,
> poke around in nntp-open-connection/nntp-wait-for.

I've found that it sits for some very long period of time until I C-g
out of it.  Should I attempt to trace it or are others having this
too?

Lee

* Re: Small, but possibly fatal change in nntp.el
@ 2001-01-25  0:51   ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-01-25  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lee Cantey <lcantey@borland.com> writes:

> > I've just committed a change to nntp.el that makes
> > nntp-open-connection notice whether it got a 200 response back or
> > not, and if it didn't, it hangs up.  (This is to avoid recursing
> > infinitely when getting a 400 response back.)  The way I did it
> > Works For Me, but if you aren't able to connect to an nntp server,
> > poke around in nntp-open-connection/nntp-wait-for.
>
> I've found that it sits for some very long period of time until I C-g
> out of it.  Should I attempt to trace it or are others having this
> too?

I possibly fixed it.  Please try again.

ShengHuo

* Re: Small, but possibly fatal change in nntp.el
@ 2001-01-25  1:11     ` Lee Cantey
From: Lee Cantey @ 2001-01-25  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> > I've just committed a change to nntp.el that makes
>> > nntp-open-connection notice whether it got a 200 response back or
>> > not, and if it didn't, it hangs up.  (This is to avoid recursing
>> > infinitely when getting a 400 response back.)  The way I did it
>> > Works For Me, but if you aren't able to connect to an nntp
>> > server, poke around in nntp-open-connection/nntp-wait-for.
>>
>> I've found that it sits for some very long period of time until I
>> C-g out of it.  Should I attempt to trace it or are others having
>> this too?

> I possibly fixed it.  Please try again.

Fixed, thanks.

Lee

* Re: Small, but possibly fatal change in nntp.el
@ 2001-01-25  5:02 ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2001-01-25  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've just committed a change to nntp.el that makes
> nntp-open-connection notice whether it got a 200 response back or not,
> and if it didn't, it hangs up.

I haven't looked at the change, but I assume you're allowing 201 as well?
Read-only servers are useful.

* Re: Small, but possibly fatal change in nntp.el
@ 2001-01-25  5:11   ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-01-25  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > I've just committed a change to nntp.el that makes
> > nntp-open-connection notice whether it got a 200 response back or not,
> > and if it didn't, it hangs up.
>
> I haven't looked at the change, but I assume you're allowing 201 as well?
> Read-only servers are useful.

201 is allowed now.

ShengHuo

* Re: Small, but possibly fatal change in nntp.el
@ 2001-01-30  8:36 ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-01-30  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> I've just committed a change to nntp.el that makes
> nntp-open-connection notice whether it got a 200 response back or not,
> and if it didn't, it hangs up.  (This is to avoid recursing infinitely
> when getting a 400 response back.)  The way I did it Works For Me, but
> if you aren't able to connect to an nntp server, poke around in
> nntp-open-connection/nntp-wait-for.

        I'm not sure, but this seems to have completely broken my XEmacs. It
gets a bunch of async replies from the xlib among other similar and very low
level messages. I'm currently using nntp.el from the XEmacs package
distribution. Could you provide the exact patch you applied, so that I can try
to revert it and see if things get better ?

        Thanks.

--
    /     /   _   _       Didier Verna       http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
 - / / - / / /_/ /        EPITA / LRDE         mailto:didier@lrde.epita.fr