* configuring mail-sources
@ 2000-11-18 15:30 Alfred Correira
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Alfred Correira @ 2000-11-18 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone successfully configured mail-sources for the following situation:
logging into an ISP with a specific account name, but retrieving email for a
secondary email account that is associated with the login account.  In my
case, the primary email address (the one that is identical to the login
account name) is my wife's email address, which she reads with Outlook.
My email comes to the secondary email account (which I am currently
reading with Eudora).  In mail-sources, if I bind :user to the primary
account name it, of course, downloads my wife's email.  If I set it to
the secondary email account, I can't get no satisfaction :-).  I haven't
even found a way to get movemail to do the first half (reaching out to the
server and downloading the messages for the secondary email account,
much less the Gnus to pull the messages apart and present them to me.
There doesn't appear to be an option, as in Eudora, to login with one name
but retrieve email using another: does Gnus (5.8.7) + movemail simply not
support this at all, or am I missing something?

--
Alfred Correira  Alfred@FireantRanch.Com
PGP DH/DSS: http://certserver.pgp.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xDE8614F5

* Re: configuring mail-sources
@ 2000-11-19 10:38 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-11-19 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I don't know if it is possible to do what you want in Gnus, but if it
is possible, it must be using nepop3.el (or epop3mail.el?) by Franklin
Lee.  This is a POP fetcher on steroids.

Outside of Emacs, fetchmail could become your friend (on a Unixy
system).

kai
--
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing

* Re: configuring mail-sources
@ 2000-11-19 15:01 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 2000-11-19 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Alfred Correira <correira@flash.net>  on Sat, 18 Nov 2000
| Has anyone successfully configured mail-sources for the following situation:
| logging into an ISP with a specific account name, but retrieving email for a
| secondary email account that is associated with the login account.

POP3 specs call it a "maildrop".  pop3.el calls it 'pop3-maildrop'.

Gnus *should* bind pop3-maildrop wth :user.  If it does not, it is a bug in
Gnus.
--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core,
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ which, if exposed due to rupture, should

* Re: configuring mail-sources
@ 2000-11-19 15:14   ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-11-19 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> * Alfred Correira <correira@flash.net>  on Sat, 18 Nov 2000
> | Has anyone successfully configured mail-sources for the following
> | situation: logging into an ISP with a specific account name, but
> | retrieving email for a secondary email account that is associated
> | with the login account.
>
> POP3 specs call it a "maildrop".  pop3.el calls it 'pop3-maildrop'.
>
> Gnus *should* bind pop3-maildrop wth :user.  If it does not, it is a
> bug in Gnus.

Gnus has bound pop3-maildrop for pop3-movemail.

ShengHuo

* Re: configuring mail-sources
@ 2000-11-19 15:16 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-11-19 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alfred Correira <correira@flash.net> writes:

> There doesn't appear to be an option, as in Eudora, to login with
> one name but retrieve email using another: does Gnus (5.8.7) +
> movemail simply not support this at all, or am I missing something?

Which movemail did you use?  The external movemail program or pop3.el?

ShengHuo