Simon Josefsson writes: > Shenghuo ZHU writes: > > > I wrote rfc2015.el, which is supposed to fill the gap between Gnus 5.8 > > and mailcrypt. Because it is not finished, I just put it in contrib > > directory. > > Are there fundamental technical problems to why it isn't finished? > > I've successfully sent S/MIME signed mail with Gnus (and several > manual steps) using postprocess=smime-sign. > > Before actually implementing this, it would be nice to hear what the > reasons was for not finishing PGP/MIME. Signing or decrypting work fine. But the technical problems and non-technical reasons are: 1. Unable to do verifying, because mm-dissect-buffer does not keep the header info (micalg value and the header of the signed text). 2. Have to input recipient's email address more than once when encrypting. It could be solved by adding email address into the tag somehow. 3. mm-use-ultra-safe-encoding should be set, though gnupgp or mailcrypt may handle the leading "From". 4. Florian Weimer is also working on a similar project. (see the attached message I sent to gnus-rfc2015 mailing list). 5. Lars worries about crypto export regulation issues. 6. I am busy recently :-(. If we implemented both protocols, I think we should rename it to rfc1847.el instead of rfc2015.el. Shenghuo