* (Slightly offtopic) Webmail servers
@ 2000-06-05  8:34 Roman Belenov
From: Roman Belenov @ 2000-06-05  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm considering creating an account on of of webmail servers. I've got
two questions :

1) What server from those handled by Gnus is "the best" ? Main
   criterions are stability (interface wasn't changed for a long time
   so I can hope that Gnus will be able to fetch mail from it
   tommorrow) and availability (server should be online most of the
   time :-).

2) How stable is webmail support in Gnus ? Help says that "Mails may
   lost" - how often does it happen ?

--
 							With regards, Roman.

* Re: (Slightly offtopic) Webmail servers
@ 2000-06-05 10:27 ` Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)
From: Yair Friedman (Jerusalem) @ 2000-06-05 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you choose webmail provider that offers IMAP access such as Yahoo,
mailandnews and some others, you will always be able to use IMAP mail
source or nnimap without depending on the web interface.

The only problem is when you are behind a firewall which closes the IMAP
ports leaving http ports open... :-(

Hope this helps,
--
Yair Friedman.

* Re: (Slightly offtopic) Webmail servers
@ 2000-06-05 11:24   ` Roman Belenov
From: Roman Belenov @ 2000-06-05 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)" <YAIRFR@Amdocs.com> writes:

> If you choose webmail provider that offers IMAP access such as Yahoo,
> mailandnews and some others, you will always be able to use IMAP mail
> source or nnimap without depending on the web interface.
>
> The only problem is when you are behind a firewall which closes the IMAP
> ports leaving http ports open... :-(

It is even worse  - our proxy has only GET/POST methods enabled so
it's impossible to use something other than HTTP.

--

@ 2000-06-05 14:55 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-06-05 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roman Belenov <roman@nstl.nnov.ru> writes:

> I'm considering creating an account on of of webmail servers. I've got
> two questions :
>
> 1) What server from those handled by Gnus is "the best" ? Main
>    criterions are stability (interface wasn't changed for a long time
>    so I can hope that Gnus will be able to fetch mail from it
>    tommorrow) and availability (server should be online most of the
>    time :-).

usa.net(netaddress.com) or webmail.netscape.com did not change their
format since I wrote webmail, but hotmail and my-deja support to fetch
the raw messages, which could avoid the error in translating html
format to Unix mail format.  The availabilities of them are OK.

> 2) How stable is webmail support in Gnus ? Help says that "Mails may
> lost" - how often does it happen ?

Losing mails does not virtually happen, but the problem is that, when
the server changes its html format, webmail may or may not complain
the format, so you have to check the mails in browser if you don't
receive mails for several days.

Also, webmail may complain the format if the server is down or
timeout.  It is difficult to fix because I am not sure what the format
error messages are.

Being a beta tester, you'd better

    (setq webmail-error-function 'webmail-debug)

~/.emacs-webmail-debug may help to trace the debug.

Shenghuo

* Re: (Slightly offtopic) Webmail servers
@ 2000-06-05 17:09   ` Roman Belenov
From: Roman Belenov @ 2000-06-05 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Ok, I tried to use my-deja account; everything seems to work but I get
warnings from w3 like

(url/error) The URL http://www.deja.com/my/pr/login_confirm.xp tried
to issue a redirect to http://www.deja.com/my/pr/checkc.xp?cv=03
...a52a&email=roman@nstl.nnov.ru&from=login&go=&member_name=unreal_undead&priv_opt_MyDeja99=1&uniq=960224070.825819140
using a method other than GET, which can open up various security
holes.  Please see the HTTP/1.0 specification for more details.

(I skipped long sequence of numbers and letter changing it to ...)

Is it Ok to ignore them ? (Anyway the proxy I'm using doesn't support
"method other than GET").

--

@ 2000-06-05 18:24     ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-06-05 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roman Belenov <roman@nstl.nnov.ru> writes:

> Ok, I tried to use my-deja account; everything seems to work but I get
> warnings from w3 like
>
> (url/error) The URL http://www.deja.com/my/pr/login_confirm.xp tried
> to issue a redirect to http://www.deja.com/my/pr/checkc.xp?cv=03
> ...a52a&email=roman@nstl.nnov.ru&from=login&go=&member_name=unreal_undead&priv_opt_MyDeja99=1&uniq=960224070.825819140
> using a method other than GET, which can open up various security
> holes.  Please see the HTTP/1.0 specification for more details.
>
> (I skipped long sequence of numbers and letter changing it to ...)
>
> Is it Ok to ignore them ? (Anyway the proxy I'm using doesn't support
> "method other than GET").

It is OK. W3 complains the POST redirection with status code 302.

Shenghuo