* [Q] working with nnoo
@ 2001-07-30 10:23 Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-07-30 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

        Hi!

There are several things I don't understand very well about nnoo. Suppose I'm
writing an nnml-like backend nnfoo.

1/ Can I inherit the nnml-open-server function, for example ? The problem I
see is in calls like "(nnoo-change-server 'nnml server defs)", especially the
symbol part ('nnml).

2/ I probably also have to rewrite all function that contain strings
containing "nnml", which is unfortunate.

3/ Also, consider the following case: I have to write my own
nnfoo-request-expire-articles, the body of which starts with a call to
nnfoo-possibly-change-directory which I could theoretically inherit from nnml.

As far as I can understand it, this won't work because the directory variable
that will be set would really be nnml-directory, and thus all references to
nnfoo-directory in the body of nnfoo-request-expire-articles would be wrong,
right ?

        Thanks

--
Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 53 14 59 47
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 44 08 01 99   didier@xemacs.org

* Re: [Q] working with nnoo
@ 2001-07-30 12:53 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-30 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Didier Verna wrote:

> As far as I can understand it, this won't work because the directory
> variable that will be set would really be nnml-directory, and thus
> all references to nnfoo-directory in the body of
> nnfoo-request-expire-articles would be wrong, right ?

I think that defvoo arranges for nnfoo-directory and nnml-directory to
have the same values, or something.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: [Q] working with nnoo
@ 2001-07-30 18:24 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-07-30 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

>         Hi!
>
> There are several things I don't understand very well about nnoo. Suppose I'm
> writing an nnml-like backend nnfoo.
>
> 1/ Can I inherit the nnml-open-server function, for example ? The problem I
> see is in calls like "(nnoo-change-server 'nnml server defs)", especially the
> symbol part ('nnml).

You have to explicitly call nnoo-change-server to sync nnfoo variables
to nnml variables.

> 2/ I probably also have to rewrite all function that contain strings
> containing "nnml", which is unfortunate.

You may use (nnoo-parent-function 'nnfoo 'nnml-the-function ...),
which calls nnoo-change-server.

> 3/ Also, consider the following case: I have to write my own
> nnfoo-request-expire-articles, the body of which starts with a call
> to nnfoo-possibly-change-directory which I could theoretically
> inherit from nnml.

nnml-possibly-change-directory is not inheritable.

> As far as I can understand it, this won't work because the directory variable
> that will be set would really be nnml-directory, and thus all references to
> nnfoo-directory in the body of nnfoo-request-expire-articles would be wrong,
> right ?

nnoo-parent-function takes care it.

ShengHuo