* smtpmail and gnus-agentize
@ 2001-07-09 20:17 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-09 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I guess many people might have the following two lines in their
~/.gnus, amongst others:

    (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-sent-it)
    (gnus-agentize)

Of course, the second line changes message-send-mail-function to the
one used by the agent.

And then, people start Gnus again, and then ~/.gnus is read again, and
then the setq is evaled again, but (gnus-agentize) does not change
message-send-mail-function again!

Maybe this is not a bug, but surely it's counter-intuitive.  Do you
think it should be changed?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: smtpmail and gnus-agentize
@ 2001-07-10  0:08 ` Sriram Karra
From: Sriram Karra @ 2001-07-10  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Maybe this is not a bug, but surely it's counter-intuitive.  Do you
> think it should be changed?

You don't think it is a bug?  Nobody should be prevented from evaling
~/.gnus as many times as they want.  Gnus' behaviour in this aspect,
is thus clearly broken, IMHO.

I had mailed about this a while back (without response); I did not
(still don't know) a "clean" solution.  I am forced to have this line
in my ~/.gnus before calling gnus-agentize.

  (setq gnus-agent-send-mail-function nil)

-karra

--
All's well that ends.

* Re: smtpmail and gnus-agentize
@ 2001-07-10  0:25 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-07-10  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I guess many people might have the following two lines in their
> ~/.gnus, amongst others:
>
>     (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-sent-it)
>     (gnus-agentize)
>
> Of course, the second line changes message-send-mail-function to the
> one used by the agent.
>
> And then, people start Gnus again, and then ~/.gnus is read again, and
> then the setq is evaled again, but (gnus-agentize) does not change
> message-send-mail-function again!
>
> Maybe this is not a bug, but surely it's counter-intuitive.  Do you
> think it should be changed?

Since message-send-mail-function is a customizable function, we'd
better not change it.  Now, message-send-mail-real-function is added
for internal use.

ShengHuo

* Re: smtpmail and gnus-agentize
@ 2001-07-10 11:03   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-10 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Mon, 09 Jul 2001, ShengHuo ZHU wrote:

> Since message-send-mail-function is a customizable function, we'd
> better not change it.

What do you mean by this?  Do you mean that (gnus-agentize) should not
change the value of message-send-mail-function?

> Now, message-send-mail-real-function is added for internal use.

If my guess was right, then this sounds like the right thing to do.
Thanks!

kai
--

@ 2001-07-10 17:54     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-07-10 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Mon, 09 Jul 2001, ShengHuo ZHU wrote:
>
>> Since message-send-mail-function is a customizable function, we'd
>> better not change it.
>
> What do you mean by this?  Do you mean that (gnus-agentize) should not
> change the value of message-send-mail-function?

Right.

>> Now, message-send-mail-real-function is added for internal use.
>
> If my guess was right, then this sounds like the right thing to do.
> Thanks!

ShengHuo

* Re: smtpmail and gnus-agentize
@ 2001-07-26 18:18   ` Michael Totschnig
From: Michael Totschnig @ 2001-07-26 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> wrote:

> Since message-send-mail-function is a customizable function, we'd
> better not change it.  Now, message-send-mail-real-function is added
> for internal use.

I updated CVS today, and now the following (which let me send mail
directly without queuing by Agent) does no longer work:

(gnus-agentize)
(setq gnus-plugged nil)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)

after reading this thread, I thought I'd have to put
(setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
before
(gnus-agentize)

but that does not work either. Since you say
message-send-mail-real-function is for internal use, I conclude, that
it is not meant to be costumized. But how then, can I have my mail
sent directly?

TIA,
--
Michael Totschnig
PGP/GPG-Public-Key: http://www.er.uqam.ca/nobel/d364101/pgp.shtml

* Re: smtpmail and gnus-agentize
@ 2001-07-26 19:03     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-07-26 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Totschnig <totschnig.michael@courrier.uqam.ca> writes:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> wrote:
>
>> Since message-send-mail-function is a customizable function, we'd
>> better not change it.  Now, message-send-mail-real-function is added
>> for internal use.
>
> I updated CVS today, and now the following (which let me send mail
> directly without queuing by Agent) does no longer work:
>
> (gnus-agentize)
> (setq gnus-plugged nil)
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
>
> after reading this thread, I thought I'd have to put
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
> before
> (gnus-agentize)
>
> but that does not work either. Since you say
> message-send-mail-real-function is for internal use, I conclude, that
> it is not meant to be costumized. But how then, can I have my mail
> sent directly?

How about

(setq gnus-agent-send-mail-function message-send-mail-function)
(gnus-agentize)

ShengHuo

* Re: smtpmail and gnus-agentize
@ 2001-07-26 20:20       ` Michael Totschnig
From: Michael Totschnig @ 2001-07-26 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> wrote:

> How about
>
> (setq gnus-agent-send-mail-function message-send-mail-function)
> (gnus-agentize)

thank you!