On 04 Jan 1999 18:42:17 -0500, Lloyd Zusman (aka "Lloyd"), regarding 'Re: Marking as already read when using gcc-self?', said: Lloyd> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes: >> Lloyd Zusman writes: >> >> > If I set the `gcc-self' group parameter for a given group to `t', is >> > there any way to cause any messages that are archived into that group >> > via this method to automatically be marked as `read' as soon as they >> > appear in the group? >> >> This is in the todo list. See the node `Newest Features' in the Gnus >> info file. Lloyd> Ah yes ... I found it. It only contained the string "Gcc" and not Lloyd> "gcc-self", so I didn't find it in my previous search. Lloyd> Well, I'll devote a little bit of my time to this task. Maybe you want to start from where I left off. The patch attach has the problem where it doesn't set the mark as read if the summary buffer for the group is the current one (defeating the gcc-self purpose, but making other gcc as read ok). Maybe you can figure out what's wrong with it. It applies cleanly to pgnus 0.69. Lloyd> Perhaps Gcc could cause a special header to be inserted into its saved Lloyd> messages, such as ... Lloyd> X-Gnus-Gcc-Action: Lloyd> Where might be `tick' or `mark read' or something Lloyd> similar. This could be specified via some sort of option, such as ... Lloyd> (defvar gnus-gcc-action "mark read" Lloyd> "*Action to be taken when the message is Gcc'ed. Lloyd> Could be `tick', `mark read', etc.") Good! I think this can be easily accomodated to my code provide someone more elisp/gnus knowledgeable will help track the problem. Lloyd> Then, when entering summary mode, some routine (which one? ... well, Lloyd> I'll dig around and find it if no one can make a suggestion) could Lloyd> then recognize this `X-Gnus-Gcc-Action' header and perform the Lloyd> specified action. Lloyd> Does this sound like a good approach? Before I start hacking, I'd Lloyd> appreciate any feedback and opinions from those of you who are Lloyd> familiar with this part of Gnus. [...] As you can see by the patch I hacked the gcc treatment in the message sending part, which is a diferent approach from yours.Note that yours will show the message you sent on the group buffer until you enter the group. Best regards, Nelson