* Gnus doesn't connect to my SMTP server
@ 2012-12-09 13:29 bromley
From: bromley @ 2012-12-09 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello list.

I have two machines: A and B.

A is running Dovecot and Postfix.
B is running Gnus.

I can connect to A via IMAP to read messages, but I can't
reply. Something is wrong because the `From:' field shows the
`user@hostname' of B, but it should show my email address instead (for
instance, admin@example.com).

There was nothing related to SMTP in `*Messages*'. How can I tell Gnus
to connect to the SMTP server?

(I've seen the `i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me'
warning, but I assume it's a different issue.)

I've never used SMTP. Is it connected with Gnus or Postfix? Is it
necessary to configure Postfix on B?

.gnus.el:

(setq gnus-select-method
	  '(nnimap "A"
			   (nnimap-address "machine")
			   (nnimap-stream ssl)))

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("machine" 25 nil nil)))
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("machine" 25 "admin" nil)))
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "machine")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 25)
(setq starttls-use-gnutls t)

* Re: Gnus doesn't connect to my SMTP server
@ 2012-12-09 18:17 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2012-12-09 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 08:29:57 -0500 (EST), bromley@lavabit.com wrote:

> Something is wrong because the `From:' field shows the `user@hostname'
> of B, but it should show my email address instead (for instance,
> admin@example.com).

If the email-address isn't detected correctly automatically, you may
want to set user-mail-address:

,----[ C-h v user-mail-address RET ]

`----

> There was nothing related to SMTP in `*Messages*'. How can I tell Gnus
> to connect to the SMTP server?

I don't use SMTP locally myself (Gnus defaults to sendmail(1), which is
the local Postfix on my desktop machine); I think something like:

  (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
        smtpmail-default-smtp-server "yoursmtpserver.example.com")

and then filling in your password for the smtp-server in ~/.authinfo
should be enough, though.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "However, it sometimes fails for the unknown                 Adam Sjøgren
  reason so far."                                        asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Gnus doesn't connect to my SMTP server
@ 2012-12-10 11:35   ` bromley
From: bromley @ 2012-12-10 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) fixed the problem.