* nnml problem (5.2.39)
@ 1996-08-09 11:14 Jon Kvebaek
From: Jon Kvebaek @ 1996-08-09 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having problems reading my mail with the nnml backend (and all the
other backends as well). The message I get is as follows:

Cannot read active file from nnml server.

My mail is located in /var/mail/jon, which is where gnus looks for it. My
~/Mail is completely clean. I have tried several things, including removing
all my newsrc files - but I still get the same message.

Here's the bits in my .gnus:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))
(setq nnfolder-get-new-mail t)
(setq message-ignored-mail-headers "^Gcc:\\|^Fcc:\\|^Sender:.")
(setq mail-signature t)
(setq mail-yank-ignored-headers ".")
;Split it!
(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(("Ding-list" "^To: ding@ifi.uio.no")
        ("Ding-list" "^Cc: ding@ifi.uio.no")
        ("4AD-list" "^To: .*4ad*")
        ("4AD-list" "^Reply-To: .*4ad*")
        ("Personal" "")))

What am I doing wrong?
Jon Øyvind Kvebæk                       Telenor Media, Origo
<jon@origo.telenor.no>               http://origo.telenor.no

* Re: nnml problem (5.2.39)
@ 1996-08-09 18:31 ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1996-08-09 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jon Kvebaek <jon@origo.no> writes:

   The message I get is as follows:

      Cannot read active file from nnml server.

I also noticed this message, yesterday, trying to initialise Red Gnus 0.8
on a Gnus-virgin system, for a friend wanting to switch to it.  I did not
notice this message when I initialised my own machine, with 5.2.37 I think.

Merely `touch'ing `active' did not solve the problem, and I unsuccessfully
try various patterns of crudely-existing or non-existing-at-all status for
`~/Mail', `~/Mail/active', and `.newsrc.eld'.

However, forcing a first session nevertheless and getting out of Gnus
normally, and everything went fine for me on subsequent sessions.

--
François Pinard         ``Vivement GNU!''        pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Support Programming Freedom, join our League!  Ask lpf@lpf.org for info!

* Re: nnml problem (5.2.39)
@ 1996-08-09 19:42 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-08-09 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Kvebaek <jon@origo.no> writes:

> I'm having problems reading my mail with the nnml backend (and all the
> other backends as well). The message I get is as follows:
>
> Cannot read active file from nnml server.

You'll get this message before nnml has received any mails.  When the
first mail arrives, the message will disappear.

> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))
> (setq nnfolder-get-new-mail t)

nnfolder?  You mean nnml?

* Re: nnml problem (5.2.39)
@ 1996-08-10 11:17   ` Jon Kvebaek
From: Jon Kvebaek @ 1996-08-10 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

François Pinard <pinard@progiciels-bpi.ca> writes:

> Jon Kvebaek <jon@origo.no> writes:
>       Cannot read active file from nnml server.
> However, forcing a first session nevertheless and getting out of Gnus
> normally, and everything went fine for me on subsequent sessions.

I used the movemail (GNU?) that comes with *cough* Netscape - after setting
the absolute path, making sure it was setgid and remaking Gnus everything
was honkey-dorey. I'm happy now.

@ 1996-08-10 11:23   ` Jon Kvebaek
From: Jon Kvebaek @ 1996-08-10 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding