From: Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com>
Subject: Re: New agent code
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 11:52:05 -0600	[thread overview]

Denis Yakovlev wrote:

>kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>

>>Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:
>>

>>>Second, read-unmarked articles are removed from the .overview.  You
>>>wouldn't happen to have gnus-agent-expire-all set?  If so, you'll
>>>get the behavior that you are describing.
>>>

>>Not that it's relevant, as I never invoked agent expiry, but I do
>>have it set to t.  So I think I should change it just in case I
>>happen to invoke agent expiry...
>>

>gnus-agent-expire-all set to nil.
>gnus-agent-expire removes articles older than gnus-agent-expire-days
>from disk (as it should), but removes almost all articles from .overview
>(1--3 articles remain).

The intended behavior is as follows:
If an article was fetched into the agent's cache, then the article's
header will be removed from the overview at the same time as the article
is expired.
If an article was never fetched, then the article's header will be
removed from the overview if the article is marked as read but not
marked as ticked nor dormant.
If an article is in the overview, but not in the agentview, remove it
from the overview.

The first rule is probably obvious.  The second rule exists because
gnus-agent doesn't currently keep a timestamp on when a header was
fetched.  As a result, I can't expire just a header using
gnus-agent-expire-days.  The third rule cleans up an overview that has
gotten out-of-sync with its agentview.

I haven't seen this behavior in my testing so we're going to have to
play 20 questions.

1) Did you call gnus-agent-expire using t as the first argument?  The
first argument is the list of articles to expire.  When set to t, this
list is interpreted as ALL articles.  If you want to expire only unread
articles, set it to nil.
2) Have you tried using gnus-agent-regenerate-group to repair this
group's overview and agentview files?  If so, did gnus-agent-expire then
function as desired?  If gnus-agent-expire is now behaving correctly,
the problem was mostly likely an out-of-date agentview file. The new
agent code requires that the contents of the agentview and overview
files be synchronized at all times.  This is enforced by the new code
but the old version didn't work quite as well.
3) Do you want to see read articles in your summary?  If so, can you
provide any addition criteria for retaining an article header in the
overview?

Kevin