* new groups are split, but not displayed automatically
@ 1999-12-02  1:11 dave-mlist
From: dave-mlist @ 1999-12-02  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

When my split function finds a message in a group that hasn't been
used before, gnus automatically creates that group.  That's great.
But when I'm looking at my *Group* buffer, the newly created group is
not listed.  I can find them by pressing "j <space>" to get a list of
all groups.  But I would rather that newly created groups get
automatically subscribed.  How do I set that?

Dave

* Re: new groups are split, but not displayed automatically
@ 1999-12-02  1:22   ` dave-mlist
From: dave-mlist @ 1999-12-02  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > But when I'm looking at my *Group* buffer, the newly created group is
> > not listed.
>
> The `F' command will query backends for new groups and subscribe them.

No, actually it doesn't.  I just tried it.  I had a new nnml group called
"linux-kernel" which I was not subscribed to.  I pressed "F" and it said
something like "No new newsgroups."  Then I pressed "j <space>" and saw
linux-kernel in the list.  I typed "linux-kernel" and hit return.  The
linux-kernel group popped up with many unread messages, and was marked with a
"Z" in the *Groups* buffer.  I typed a "U" to subscribe the group (ironic), and
was finally able to read it.  There has to be an easier way!

@ 1999-12-02  1:23 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-02  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-12-02  3:04     ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 1999-12-02  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >> > But when I'm looking at my *Group* buffer, the newly created
    >> group is > not listed.
    >>
    >> The `F' command will query backends for new groups and
    >> subscribe them.

    dave-mlist> No, actually it doesn't.  I just tried it.  I had a
    dave-mlist> new nnml group called "linux-kernel" which I was not
    dave-mlist> subscribed to.  I pressed "F" and it said something

The F command always has worked for me (PGnus 0.98). Perhaps
something broke in 0.99?

Otherwise, does restarting PGnus (with R) or exiting and
restarting show the group?

    dave-mlist> like "No new newsgroups."  Then I pressed "j <space>"
    dave-mlist> and saw linux-kernel in the list.  I typed
    dave-mlist> "linux-kernel" and hit return.  The linux-kernel group
    dave-mlist> popped up with many unread messages, and was marked
    dave-mlist> with a "Z" in the *Groups* buffer.  I typed a "U" to
    dave-mlist> subscribe the group (ironic), and was finally able to
    dave-mlist> read it.  There has to be an easier way!

I have observed that behavour in 0.98, too. A bit strange that
the group is marked as a zombie, when it should be subscribed
automatically, but I can live with that.
--
Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>

* Re: new groups are split, but not displayed automatically
@ 1999-12-02 19:53   ` dave-mlist
From: dave-mlist @ 1999-12-02 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > But when I'm looking at my *Group* buffer, the newly created group is
> > not listed.
>
> The `F' command will query backends for new groups and subscribe them.

OK, is there a way to make all zombie groups display?

@ 1999-12-02 22:43     ` Gerd Boerrigter
From: Gerd Boerrigter @ 1999-12-02 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

dave-mlist@bfnet.com writes:

> OK, is there a way to make all zombie groups display?

In the group buffer 'A z' will show all zombie groups which can than
be easily subscribed.

Gerd

* Re: new groups are split, but not displayed automatically
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-06  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

dave-mlist@bfnet.com writes:

> > The `F' command will query backends for new groups and subscribe them.
>
> No, actually it doesn't.  I just tried it.  I had a new nnml group called
> "linux-kernel" which I was not subscribed to.  I pressed "F" and it said
> something like "No new newsgroups."  Then I pressed "j <space>" and saw
> linux-kernel in the list.  I typed "linux-kernel" and hit return.  The
> linux-kernel group popped up with many unread messages, and was marked with a
> "Z" in the *Groups* buffer.

If the group was a zombie, then it already is known to Gnus.  The
default subscription method is `gnus-subscribe-zombies'.  `A z' to
list the zombies.