From: "JJ" <ding_gnus.org@sumou.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Gnus displays/doesn't display X-face, why?
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 07:00:28 -0500 (EST)	[thread overview]

> > Looking at the code, it looks like it's calling icontopbm and
> > uncompface.
>
> So I thought as well when inspecting the code. However it turns out these
> two aren't needed, in fact works fine on a system without them.

netpbm and uncompface have in fact nothing to do with it, Xfaces work in
GNU Emacs without these packages installed, and without the icontopbm and
uncompface executables in the path.

> After intense experimentation determined it's either one of these that's
> causing the problems:
>
> libgif
> libtiff
> libpng
> libxpm
> libjpeg

So the winner is libpng. Turns out only 1.2.44 works. Any later version,
including the current 1.5.0 doesn't work with GNU Emacs and Emacs just
shows empty boxes instead of the X-Face.
--
JJ