* Disallow using agent with nnimap
@ 2009-02-09 12:53 Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2009-02-09 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,
  we all know that gnus-agent creates lots of problems with nnimap backends. Not only wrong count numbers, but also you can apparently lose unread e-mails when you enter a group (and then you don't see them again even with C-u M-g).
  This makes the innocent user angry. I would like that users are not required to remember that nnimap+agent=chaos, but that Gnus remembers this to the user in case it is needed (i.e. when enabling it).

  Could we add some sort of warning or confirmation to avoid enabling nnimap+agent by mistake?

  At least until it is fixed.

-- Daniel

* Re: Disallow using agent with nnimap
@ 2009-02-10 23:40 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2009-02-10 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Clemente; +Cc: ding

Daniel Clemente wrote:
> Hi,
>   we all know that gnus-agent creates lots of problems with nnimap backends. Not only wrong count numbers, but also you can apparently lose unread e-mails when you enter a group (and then you don't see them again even with C-u M-g).
>   This makes the innocent user angry. I would like that users are not required to remember that nnimap+agent=chaos, but that Gnus remembers this to the user in case it is needed (i.e. when enabling it).
>
>   Could we add some sort of warning or confirmation to avoid enabling nnimap+agent by mistake?
>
>   At least until it is fixed.
>
> -- Daniel

The agent should work fine with nnimap when the user has only one mail
client (gnus).  The problems that you listed occur when the user tries
to access the same email account using multiple copies of gnus or gnus
and some other email application.  For example, when you try to access
the same email account from your work and home computers.

Kevin