* "Lee" == Lee Willis writes: Lee> nospam2159+ding@daimi.au.dk (Peter von der Ahé - at home) writes: >> Create a new nnml group with G m, copy 3 messages to this group. >> Mark them all as read. Delete the article with number 2. Exit the >> group. Enter the group. You will now be asked how many articles you >> want to see, even though there only is 2 articles in the group. This >> can be very annoying when you have larges mail groups with gaps. Lee> Why is it *very* annoying. So you have to hit C-u RET RET. I'd hardly Lee> call that vastly inconvenient ... The problem is also being that the number of articles fetched could be far off when there are large gaps in numbers. It becomes worse in virtual group :-<. To me, it *is* very annoying. >> Further more, AFAIK[1], Gnus will consider all messages from the >> lowest available number to the highest. So if you have a group with a >> article numbered 1 and the next is numbered 1002, Gnus will have to do >> something for 1000 article in between, this may not be much, but will >> amount to a hill of beans in the long run. So for efficiency it would >> be perfectly sane to provide some kind of renumbering function. Lee> Hmm, I agree with this, and I can see your point but Gnus *does Lee> have* a renumbering function. Enter the group you wish to Lee> renumber with C-u RET (And a further RET if you're prompted). The Lee> do the following Lee> M P b Lee> B m name-of-group RET and all your problems should be solved (Unless of Lee> course you have cached articles which you shouldn't in mail groups Lee> anyway ...) It does *not* work with groups which have cached articles. Regards, Tony