From: "Ted Zlatanov" <tzz@lifelogs.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: wallowing out of the spam quagmire
Date: 22 Jun 2004 12:45:42 -0400	[thread overview]

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, reader@newsguy.com wrote:

> My usage will probably be the simplest one would find.  I want to run
> bogofilter against only one group.  (My setup described in previous
> post) .. that group gets whatever has made it by SA and dozens of my
> own procmail rules including splitting out many list-server messages
> from dozens of subscribed lists.  So this group doesn't get lots of
> mail.  However, the spam that shows up there though is fairly
> sophisticated and will be hard to indentify as spam. (for computer
> tools).
>
> It is readily indentifieable by humans though, so I thought if I showed
> enough of it to bogofilter, that filter would eventually become able to
> indentify most of it.  Maybe that isn't how Bogofilter works..?
>
> At this stage I'd like to see a few steps that would get this process
> started.  Something like (examples are made up):
>
> 1) put (some elisp) in G p of this group (auto-detect I guess)

Yes, auto-detect with spam-use-bogofilter.

> 2) install bogofilter and set (`bogo-on' to t)

You should (setq spam-use-bogofilter t), that's the most important
thing BEFORE you call (spam-initialize).

> 3) set variables (spam-group "groupname") (ham-group "groupname")

Set the group spam/ham classification you mean.  You can do that on a
topic too, it's easier for many groups.

> 4) enter group and mark messages spam or ham
> 5) let bogofiter wallow around in spam-group ham-group several times
>    a day.
> Do steps four/five 7,535 times and then bogofilter will know what is
> what....

Yes, this is very sensible.

Your workflow then is:

1. Enter ham group A with parameters:
 auto-detect with spam-use-bogofilter
 spam-process-destination "S"
 spam-process (spam spam-use-bogofilter)
1.1. mark spam in ham group A (if any was missed by auto-detect)
1.2. quit ham group A
1.3. the marked spam goes to the spam-process-destination, after
     being processed with the bogofilter processor

2. Enter spam group S with parameters:
 spam-process-destination nil (just delete spam)
 ham-process-destination "A"
 spam-process (ham spam-use-bogofilter)
2.1. mark ham (with a ham-mark, e.g. !)
2.2. quit spam group S
2.3. the marked ham goes to the ham-process-destination, after being
 processed with bogofilter

Specifically regarding the treatment and motion of the spam/ham
articles when exiting, you may want to look at the new spam.el and
specifically the spam-summary-exit-behavior variable.

I also like spam-mark-ham-unread-before-move-from-spam-group set to t,
so instead of ! ham is marked unread when it goes to ham group A.

I hope that explains things...

Ted