From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
Subject: Re: [spam-report.el] Offline Gmane spam reporting
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 15:10:19 -0500	[thread overview]

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004, 4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de wrote:

> when I'm reading Gmane groups offline, I cannot use the spam-report
> functions.  Wouldn't it be nice to collect the requests (the URLs)
> in a file and use them later when online?
>
> The new function `spam-report-url-to-file' collects the request in a
> file, see the attached patch[1].  I also added a custom choice in
> `spam-report-url-ping-function' to insert a user defined function
> and tried to improve the doc-string of this variable.

Very nice, thank you.  Go ahead and apply, but make sure you also
update gnus.el so the new spam-report function is an available spam
processor.  Let me know if you need help with any of it.

> I'm not sure if we should use `spam-directory' or `gnus-directory'
> in the default value of `spam-report-requests-file'.  Is
> `spam-report.el' supposed to be independent from `spam.el'?  At
> least it doesn't require it.  Somehow related to this: I think
> `spam.el' should _not_ hard-code "~/News/spam/" as `spam-directory'
> but use `gnus-directory'[2] instead, see its doc-string.

I would use spam-directory.  I definitely think spam-directory should
be different from gnus-directory, because of the high volume of data
that can accumulate in the blacklists for instance.  The default
should be (format "%s/spam" gnus-directory) so users can override it
iff they want to.  Do you agree?

> I didn't care about code for using the requests file when being
> online (yet).  Personally, I would just use...
>
>   file=~/News/spam-report-requests.url
>   GET `cat file` && : > file
>
> ... from the shell (or some ip-up script).  But we may also add an
> interactive lisp function for that (loop over all lines in the file,
> use `spam-report-url-ping-plain' and erase the file when done).

I agree with Kai, this should be doable when Gnus becomes plugged.
GET and such are not always available, and there's no need to
complicate the user's life.  The manual should say "if you want to
queue reports and you use the Agent, do (add-hook...".

Let me know which parts of the above you want me to do.  Thanks!

Ted