* Marking as spam -- spam-stat
@ 2003-10-29 21:31 Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-10-29 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

In a ham group, if I see spam, I have to manually move it to spam
group with 'B M'.  Then I have to remember that at some point in the future I
need to run spam-stat-update which I have defined as:

(defun spam-stat-update ()
  "Learn about my spam and non-spam"
(interactive)
(let ((starting (current-time-string)))
  ;; LEARN SPAM
  (spam-stat-process-spam-directory "~/Mail/mail/spam")

  ;; LEARN HAM
  (let ((ham-groups '("mail.misc" "mail.vcpphelp" "mail.windbg" "mail.hew")))
    (mapc (lambda (x)
            (spam-stat-process-non-spam-directory
             (format "~/Mail/mail/%s" x)))
          ham-groups))

Isn't there a way to delete a message as spam such that it would get
moved to the spam group and the spam database would get automatically
updated?  Same goes for when ham appears in a spam group.

The addin for Outlook (SpamBayes) has this functionality and it's
very nice.  With it, I can build the db once, and then just
incrementally update as needed.

I'm hoping something similar can be done with spam-stat and gnus.
Thanks.

* Re: Marking as spam -- spam-stat
@ 2003-10-30 10:20 ` Ian Dobbie
From: Ian Dobbie @ 2003-10-30 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> writes:

> In a ham group, if I see spam, I have to manually move it to spam
> group with 'B M'.  Then I have to remember that at some point in the future I
> need to run spam-stat-update which I have defined as:

[snip]

> Isn't there a way to delete a message as spam such that it would get
> moved to the spam group and the spam database would get automatically
> updated?  Same goes for when ham appears in a spam group.

[snip]

> I'm hoping something similar can be done with spam-stat and gnus.
> Thanks.

Well I'm using bogofilter but via the same spam.el frontend. If I mark
mail as spam (S x) it gets the spam mark ($) and on exit of that group
it is registered as spam with bogofilter and moved to the spam
group. Does that work for you?

Ian

* Re: Marking as spam -- spam-stat
@ 2003-10-30 19:29 ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2003-10-30 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter,

It can be done.  If you see a spam in your ham group, just do a "M-d"
(gnus-summary-mark-as-spam) in the summary buffer.  The spam would then be
moved to the spam group and spam-stat would be update when you exit the
group.

Make sure you customize your ham group ("G c" in group buffer on the group
name) with "Spam Summary Exit Processor" set to
"gnus-group-ham-exit-processor-stat" and "Destination for spam-processed
articles at summary" set to the "Move to group: <spam group name>".

The same can be done with ham in spam group, except that there is no key
binding for moving ham back in spam group back to inbox.  You just need to
do a "B m" and spam-stat would be updated when you exit the group.

Hope this helps,

--
Danny Dick-Fung Siu              mailto:dsiu@adobe.com
Advanced Technology Group @ Adobe Systems Incorporated

* Re: Marking as spam -- spam-stat
@ 2003-10-31 16:20   ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-10-31 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Danny> Make sure you customize your ham group ("G c" in group
    Danny> buffer on the group name) with "Spam Summary Exit
    Danny> Processor" set to "gnus-group-ham-exit-processor-stat" and
    Danny> "Destination for spam-processed articles at summary" set to
    Danny> the "Move to group: <spam group name>".

Thanks, this is what I was missing.  Also adding (require 'spam) to
my .gnus gave me the keybinding 'S x' to mark as spam.

    Danny> The same can be done with ham in spam group, except that
    Danny> there is no key binding for moving ham back in spam group
    Danny> back to inbox.  You just need to do a "B m" and spam-stat
    Danny> would be updated when you exit the group.

Good to know thanks for the help!

* Re: Marking as spam -- spam-stat
@ 2003-10-31 17:01   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-10-31 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, dsiu@adobe.com wrote:

> It can be done.  If you see a spam in your ham group, just do a
> "M-d" (gnus-summary-mark-as-spam) in the summary buffer.  The spam
> would then be moved to the spam group and spam-stat would be update
> when you exit the group.
>
> The same can be done with ham in spam group, except that there is no
> key binding for moving ham back in spam group back to inbox.  You
> just need to do a "B m" and spam-stat would be updated when you exit
> the group.

I think Peter may like the spam-process-ham-in-nonham-groups and
spam-process-ham-in-spam-groups settings (I prefer the latter, and
plan to make it t by default).  They make ham-process-destination in
a spam group work as expected.

Ted