On Thu, 08 Jan 2004, tzz@lifelogs.com wrote: > Without gencrypt.el, gnus-encrypt.el will provide four options: > OpenSSL encoding (I'll just copy what I have in netrc.el), GPG > encoding (simple command-line invocation with --armor), base64 > encoding, and no encoding. I've finished the GPG and one built-in cipher for gnus-encrypt.el. Attached is the code. I need a few people to test it, and any feedback is appreciated of course. OpenSSL and base64 encodings were not implemented because I didn't think they were really necessary. OpenSSL support will probably come through gencrypt.el when that's released. If the *encoding* fails, the file is saved in plain text. If the *decoding* fails, we load the encoded file. Tough break. The built-in XOR filter is actually pretty nice. It's not good encryption, but it's definitely a step up from base64, and it had decent speed when I tried it. The major issue is that, for simplicity, gnus-encrypt.el only works with whole buffers. I don't think more will be necessary for Gnus development, although the gencrypt.el code will definitely support encoding of regions and such. If and when gnus-encrypt.el goes into the Gnus CVS, I will start adding support for it everywhere in Gnus. Without setting gnus-encrypt-file-alist, users will see absolutely no effect from the gnus-encrypt functions. Ted