From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Spam.el tutorial
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:16:13 -0500	[thread overview]

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, kai@emptydomain.de wrote:

> I think *now* I understand: spam-autodetect can do like spam-split,
> but without splitting.

Yes, using all articles or only the unseen ones (default is unseen).
When you enter an autodetected group you'll basically run spam-split
on all those articles.  But you can specify whatever spam-split
methods you want to use.

> For me, spam splitting is done on the server side with bogofilter,
> and there is no easy way for me to tell Gnus to invoke bogofilter on
> the server side.  So spam-autodetect is out, I guess.

You can still use spam-use-BBDB, spam-use-blacklist,
spam-use-blackholes, etc.

> (I'd need a local bogofilter database it seems.  Wonder whether it's
> worth it.  Maybe NOCEM can help?  What does it do, anyway?  There is
> a vague connection between NOCEM and spam in my mind.)

NOCEM is definitely not what you want, although there could be a
spam-use-NOCEM variable for those who don't mind REALLY slow spam
autodetection.  NOCEM is sort of like a global spam-cancelling list
except with Gnus it was REALLY slow for me on a local fast news
server.

You could rsync the bogofilter database every hour or whatever is
appropriate to your local machine.  As long as the two versions of
bogofilter are the same, there won't be any binary compatibility
problems.  I do that and it works pretty well.

I've promised I'll stop adding spam.el features, so I won't do this
for No Gnus, but the next features of spam.el will be mass spam
detection and better summary display of spam.  Mass spam detection
will be able to invoke certain programs once for a whole bunch of
articles, which will make spam autodetection much faster.  In fact,
people may start using spam autodetection instead of incoming mail
splitting :)

Ted