* gnus-del-mark vs gnus-expirable-mark
@ 2003-10-30 23:30 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2003-10-30 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I mark a message using 'd', I get the gnus-del-mark.  When/how do those
messages actually get deleted?  How does this differ from
gnus-expirable-mark where the message gets deleted after the expiration time?
Aren't they effectively the same?

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                    Phone: (201) 209-2467
Harborside Financial Center                 Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza Two                          E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
Jersey City, NJ 07311                 www.principiapartners.com

* Re: gnus-del-mark vs gnus-expirable-mark
@ 2003-10-31 16:56 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-10-31 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, colman@ppllc.com wrote:

> If I mark a message using 'd', I get the gnus-del-mark.  When/how do
> those messages actually get deleted?  How does this differ from
> gnus-expirable-mark where the message gets deleted after the
> expiration time?  Aren't they effectively the same?

Think of the deleted mark as deleting the article from the summary
view - more like a "this has been read" mark.  I think that because
Gnus is somewhat newsreader-oriented, deletions are not quite as
deadly as they are on mail-oriented MUAs.  On a news server, you can't
actually delete an article (normally).

The delete/expire metaphor works nicely for IMAP, because there you
also have a distinction between "has been read" and "to be deleted"
marks on articles.

Ted