From: "Ted Zlatanov" <tzz@lifelogs.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: OT [Archive techniques] What to do when it gets massive
Date: 16 Aug 2004 13:35:39 -0400	[thread overview]

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, reader@newsguy.com wrote:

> I'm probably overlooking something fundamental but I don't see how
> this is really any different than normal rsync, except for disk space
> issue due to hardlinks.
>
> I didn't see a way to not have major overlap between monthly archives.
> That is, say on 8/30/04 my rsnpshot setup starts writing to a new
> archive.  Its still based on files under ~/News/agent/nntp right? so
> whatever is in there will be copied over to the new archive.
> Including many if not all that were there for the previous month.

Only files that have changed between A and B will be copied, yet you
will have two directories, one with the state of things from date A,
the other with the state of things from date B.  Files no longer in
existence at date B will be deleted in the B directory, but since
they are hardlinked they will still exist in the A directory.

I think this is exactly what you're looking for, based on your letter,
but I'm probably missing something too :)

Ted