* Lost mail in spam.el with(out) bogofilter
@ 2003-12-10 12:39 Ian Dobbie
From: Ian Dobbie @ 2003-12-10 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I just reinstalled my machine and in getting my mail etc back I
neglected to install bogofilter, but I had gnus configured to run
bogofilter on my imap downloaded mail. When I first downloaded my mail
gnus (v5.10.2) produced errors making me realise what I had done
wrong. Unfortunately, it also seemed to lose the mail that had been
downloaded from imap that it was trying to pass through bogofilter. Is
this a bug, or is my lost mail hidden in some temp file waiting for me
to find it?

Thanks,

Ian

* Re: Lost mail in spam.el with(out) bogofilter
@ 2003-12-10 20:16 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-12-10 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, ian.dobbie@nuigalway.ie wrote:

> I just reinstalled my machine and in getting my mail etc back I
> neglected to install bogofilter, but I had gnus configured to run
> bogofilter on my imap downloaded mail. When I first downloaded my
> mail gnus (v5.10.2) produced errors making me realise what I had
> done wrong. Unfortunately, it also seemed to lose the mail that had
> been downloaded from imap that it was trying to pass through
> bogofilter. Is this a bug, or is my lost mail hidden in some temp
> file waiting for me to find it?

If spam-split was last in your split methods, and it returns nil, you
will find your mail in the "bogus" group.  spam-split should not be
last, though, unless you use spam-use-ifile.

Ted

* Re: Lost mail in spam.el with(out) bogofilter
@ 2003-12-11 11:54   ` Ian Dobbie
From: Ian Dobbie @ 2003-12-11 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> If spam-split was last in your split methods, and it returns nil, you
> will find your mail in the "bogus" group.  spam-split should not be
> last, though, unless you use spam-use-ifile.

Thanks, my mail is in the bogus group. Haven't a clue why I didn't find
it when I went routing round my mail directory.

I'm also confused that it got sent here as spam-split isn't the the
last method, but the first! I would have expected the spam to end up
in my mail groups instead. Oh well, its just a couple of hundred
messages I can easily file them by hand.

@ 2003-12-11 15:53     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-12-11 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, ian.dobbie@nuigalway.ie wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> If spam-split was last in your split methods, and it returns nil,
>> you will find your mail in the "bogus" group.  spam-split should
>> not be last, though, unless you use spam-use-ifile.
>
> Thanks, my mail is in the bogus group. Haven't a clue why I didn't
> find it when I went routing round my mail directory.

Well, it was obviously bogus :)  Just be glad it was not called
"fnord."

> I'm also confused that it got sent here as spam-split isn't the the
> last method, but the first! I would have expected the spam to end up
> in my mail groups instead. Oh well, its just a couple of hundred
> messages I can easily file them by hand.

Maybe the last thing in your split methods returned nil?

Also, if spam-split generates an error maybe that will send things to
'bogus'?  There was a recent patch to CVS for Bogofilter in
particular - you may want to look at it.  Turn up gnus-verbose to 10
and look at the *Messages* buffer next time you see this problem.

Thanks
Ted