* registry questions
@ 2003-11-03 13:57 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2003-11-03 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been using the gnus-registry and I have a few questions.  Please point
me to any docs that I might have missed.

1) Can/should the registry be purged?  Or is it self-maintaining?

2) I see that some groups can be specified as NOT feeding the registry.
   Under what circumstances would I want to do this and why?

3) Let's say I have a messages that is initially filed (by split-fancy) to
   a generic work folders and I move it to a project-specific folder.  Is the
   registry supposed to ensure that follow-ups to that original message
   automatically get filed to the project-specific folder?  That's my
   understanding yet it does not seem to be doing that.  I'm assuming that it
   is because my registry is not yet "trained".  What will cause it be
   trained?  Simply reading messages over a period of time?

Thanks!

...Jake

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                    Phone: (201) 209-2467
Harborside Financial Center                 Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza Two                          E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
Jersey City, NJ 07311                 www.principiapartners.com

* Re: registry questions
@ 2003-11-03 18:57 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-11-03 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003, colman@ppllc.com wrote:

> 1) Can/should the registry be purged?  Or is it self-maintaining?

Yes, and yes.  gnus-registry-clear will purge the registry, and when
you save to file, the newest N entries will be kept
(gnus-registry-max-entries sets N, and if it's nil, which is the
default, there is no maximum).

> 2) I see that some groups can be specified as NOT feeding the
>    registry.  Under what circumstances would I want to do this and
>    why?

The drafts group probably makes no sense for the registry.  There
will be a "queue" group eventually that will queue articles that need
to be split in a different backend.  I can't remember why "delayed"
is in there, but probably only "drafts" should be the default for
now.  Any opinions?

> 3) Let's say I have a messages that is initially filed (by
>    split-fancy) to a generic work folders and I move it to a
>    project-specific folder.  Is the registry supposed to ensure that
>    follow-ups to that original message automatically get filed to
>    the project-specific folder?

Yes.

> That's my understanding yet it does not seem to be doing that.  I'm
> assuming that it is because my registry is not yet "trained".  What
> will cause it be trained?  Simply reading messages over a period of
> time?

Find the original message's message ID.  Ask the registry where that
message should go by evaluating (use M-:) the following:

(gnus-registry-fetch-group "ID") ;; ID is the message ID

If the registry tells you the right group name, then you are not
splitting correctly.  If it doesn't, make sure you've entered the
group where the original message resides with the C-u prefix to ENTER.
The registry is "trained" when you enter a group; the messages must be
visible, so to train it on old messages you have to do C-u ENTER.

The registry also notices incoming messages, and copy/move operations.
It even does spam processing registrations as of last week, although
that's not being used yet.  So essentially you should not have to do
anything unusual in order to "train" the registry.

Ted

* Re: registry questions
@ 2003-11-03 20:31   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-11-03 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> The drafts group probably makes no sense for the registry.  There
> will be a "queue" group eventually that will queue articles that need
> to be split in a different backend.  I can't remember why "delayed"
> is in there, but probably only "drafts" should be the default for
> now.  Any opinions?

People can hit C-c C-j instead of C-c C-c for sending a message.  This
will then ask for a time to send the message.

So the delayed group is similar to the queue group.

Kai

* Re: registry questions
@ 2003-11-03 22:57   ` Michael Shields
From: Michael Shields @ 2003-11-03 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

In message <4nfzh546vs.fsf@lockgroove.bwh.harvard.edu>,
Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:
> The drafts group probably makes no sense for the registry.  There
> will be a "queue" group eventually that will queue articles that need
> to be split in a different backend.

Note that there is already a "queue" group, which is used to hold
messages that cannot be sent yet because you're unplugged.
--
Shields.

* Re: registry questions
@ 2003-11-04  2:40     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-11-04  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jake Colman, ding

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003, shields@msrl.com wrote:

> In message <4nfzh546vs.fsf@lockgroove.bwh.harvard.edu>,
> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:
>> The drafts group probably makes no sense for the registry.  There
>> will be a "queue" group eventually that will queue articles that
>> need to be split in a different backend.
>
> Note that there is already a "queue" group, which is used to hold
> messages that cannot be sent yet because you're unplugged.

Maybe I can use that code, because it's a very similar purpose -
delayed processing of articles.  For unplugged messages, they are to
be sent; for messages that are to be split to a different backend
they need to be moved.

Maybe a new header (or reuse of an existing one) could be used,

Ted