From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: How to use the spam.el package?
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 21:36:06 -0500	[thread overview]

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003, kai@emptydomain.de wrote:

>> Nah, we move message by unique article number, not message ID.  The
>> new articles that were just moved in are not automatically
>> integrated in the loop, so it will end when the old articles are
>> all moved.  It should work.  I wouldn't recommend it, but for pure
>> obfuscated fun it's hard to beat it.
>
> Okay.  So, it's better to avoid it.  Recall that I have
> gnus-spam-process-destinations set to (("^nnimap:"
> "nnimap:INBOX.makespam")).  (Made a mistake makespam vs spam there.)
>
> So how do I tell spam.el NOT to apply this rule to the
> nnimap:INBOX.makespam group?  Formulating a regexp that matches
> everything that "^nnimap:" matches, except "nnimap:INBOX.makespam",
> is difficult.
>
> Hm.  Maybe I could set a group parameter on nnimap:INBOX.makespam
> that overrides the value with nil?

That's what I do.  I also have ham/spam topics, and some of my
settings are different depending on the backend server.

> Or I could put in two entries:
>
>     (("^nnimap:INBOX.makespam$" nil)
>      ("^nnimap:" "nnimap:INBOX.makespam"))
>
> If it searches the alist from the beginning and uses the first
> match, then it would work.

I would guess it searches from the beginning, it's a standard Elisp
alist.

> It's getting a bit complicated.  I'm sure the reason is that I'm
> doing something wrong.  I stumbled across this thing within five
> minutes; everybody must be having the same issue.  Except, of
> course, if they take another path where there is no stumbling block.
>
> Do people put all ham groups in one topic and all spam groups in
> another, then use topic parameters on those two topics, to avoid
> this problem?

I think the configurability of the package makes it hard to say one
way is "right" and another is "wrong."  It's a safe guess that most
people are using group/topic parameters based on the configurations
I've been asked to debug.

Ted