* No Gnus doesn't like the obsolete spam syntax
@ 2005-08-10  2:53 Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2005-08-10  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just a quick note in case it saves someone else some time.

I used to have:

(custom-set-variables
 '(gnus-parameters
   '(("^nnml:spam\\..*"
      (spam-contents gnus-group-spam-classification-spam)
      (spam-process (gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-bogofilter
                     gnus-group-ham-exit-processor-bogofilter))))))

(with more gnus-parameters, but that's the relevant ones).  This no longer
works with No Gnus (version in the headers).  I'm not entirely sure why,
but following the manual's instructions and then fiddling a little to
figure out what they really mean, the following *does* work:

(custom-set-variables
 '(gnus-parameters
   '(("^nnml:spam\\..*"
      (spam-contents gnus-group-spam-classification-spam)
      (spam-process ((spam spam-use-bogofilter)
                     (ham spam-use-bogofilter)))))))

It took me a little bit to get the syntax right, since for some reason I
read the manual suggestion and thought it said to replace

    gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-bogofilter

with

    ('(spam spam-use-bogofilter))

literally.  That just silently fails with no error message, apparently due
to having one too many layers of parens.

(Yes, I know you can do this all inside customize.  I hate the interface
for customize and also prefer to have commented configurations so that I
can remember why I changed something, which means that I do a lot of
writing code based directly on the manual or using customize to generate a
first draft and then tweaking it.)