* gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent misfeature or minibug?
@ 2003-05-24 14:56 Kai Großjohann
       [not found] ` <848yswgzqs.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duis?= =?iso-8859-1?q?burg.de>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-24 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I got a group nnml:gmane.linux.debian.user.german because somebody
replied to my posting in nntp+gmane:gmane.linux.debian.user.german by
email, and gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent found that group in
the registry.

Is there a way to avoid this?  I'd have preferred for that message to
end up in nnml:mail.misc.
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent misfeature or minibug?
       [not found] ` <848yswgzqs.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duis?= =?iso-8859-1?q?burg.de>
@ 2003-05-25 10:49   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-05-25 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 24 May 2003, kai.grossjohann@gmx.net wrote:
> I got a group nnml:gmane.linux.debian.user.german because somebody
> replied to my posting in nntp+gmane:gmane.linux.debian.user.german
> by email, and gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent found that group
> in the registry.
>
> Is there a way to avoid this?  I'd have preferred for that message
> to end up in nnml:mail.misc.

Use the gnus-registry-ignored-groups variable or the registry-ignore
group parameter.  I have:

(setq gnus-registry-ignored-groups '(("nntp" t)
                                     ("nnrss" t)))

That way, messages in those groups won't be registered.

What would be a suitable default, any suggestions?

Ted

* Re: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent misfeature or minibug?
@ 2003-05-25 18:49     ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]       ` <84fzn2amlc.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duis?= =?iso-8859-1?q?burg.de>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-25 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Use the gnus-registry-ignored-groups variable or the registry-ignore
> group parameter.  I have:
>
> (setq gnus-registry-ignored-groups '(("nntp" t)
>                                      ("nnrss" t)))
>
> That way, messages in those groups won't be registered.
> What would be a suitable default, any suggestions?

I'm not so happy with this approach.  I read an IMAP server via
nnimap and a POP server via mail-sources and nnml.  So suppose I read
a message on the IMAP server and move it to nnimap:INBOX.foo, then I
compose a followup.  The followup happens to contain the "wrong"
email message, and so replies go to the POP mailbox.  So
nnmail-split-fancy will put the reply into nnml:INBOX.foo which isn't
what I wanted.

If you say that this is a rather unusual setup, I'd agree.  So maybe
that's not so convincing an argument.  (Especially the part about the
"wrong" email address which leads to parts of the same thread coming
in via IMAP whereas other parts come in via POP.)

But there is another thing: I gather that originally you intended to
use the registry for other things, not just
gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent?  If this is the case, then
there might be a good reason for registering nntp articles, as well.

Opinions?
--

@ 2003-05-27 17:19         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-05-27 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 25 May 2003, kai.grossjohann@gmx.net wrote:
> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> Use the gnus-registry-ignored-groups variable or the
>> registry-ignore group parameter.  I have:
>>
>> (setq gnus-registry-ignored-groups '(("nntp" t)
>>                                      ("nnrss" t)))
>>
>> That way, messages in those groups won't be registered.
>> What would be a suitable default, any suggestions?
>
> I'm not so happy with this approach.  I read an IMAP server via
> nnimap and a POP server via mail-sources and nnml.  So suppose I
> read a message on the IMAP server and move it to nnimap:INBOX.foo,
> then I compose a followup.  The followup happens to contain the
> "wrong" email message, and so replies go to the POP mailbox.  So
> nnmail-split-fancy will put the reply into nnml:INBOX.foo which
> isn't what I wanted.

> If you say that this is a rather unusual setup, I'd agree.  So maybe
> that's not so convincing an argument.  (Especially the part about
> the "wrong" email address which leads to parts of the same thread
> coming in via IMAP whereas other parts come in via POP.)

I think fully qualified group names would help you here.  Most people,
I assumed, would not get a followup to a message in a backend
different from the one where message is stored.  I'll get the FQGN
addition to the gnus-registry.el done as time permits - feel free to
put it in sooner.  I'm still thinking of a faster storage format...

> But there is another thing: I gather that originally you intended to
> use the registry for other things, not just
> gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent?  If this is the case, then
> there might be a good reason for registering nntp articles, as well.

Only one other purpose on my horizon: spam processing.  I can see the
problems there - maybe at that point the registry will *remember*
group names in the gnus-registry-ignored-groups alist, but won't offer
them as suggestions for splitting with the parents.  I think that's
the sensible way to do it.

Ted