On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, seh@panix.com wrote: > So far, I noticed that `make-temp-file' (used in > gnus-encrypt-gpg-process-buffer) does not exist in XEmacs. I used > `make-temp-name' instead. I don't use XEmacs, so thanks for catching that. Can I get your changes as a patch? If it's trivial don't worry about it. >> Just call the functions gnus-encrypt-insert-file-contents and >> gnus-encrypt-write-file-contents directly after customizing >> gnus-encrypt-file-alist. > > I don't understand. Is this encryption stuff not hooked into Gnus in > any way? That might explain my experience with it so far. No. netrc.el has temporary encryption support right now, but don't use it. I just wanted you to test the gnus-encrypt.el functions on their own and see if they work reliably for you. > I encrypted my .authinfo file using gnus-encrypt-write-file-contents > (gpg, AES), but when I then fire up Gnus I don't get prompted for a > password, and Gnus can't read the file. > > I used the Customize interface to add an entry to > gnus-encrypt-file-alist, which wound up looking like this: > > (("/home/sharris/.authinfo" (gpg "AES"))) > > Note that the gpg and cipher specification are in a nested list, which > differs from the example alist: > > '(("/home/tzz/alpha" gpg "AES") ; GPG on single file > ;; xor encryption on all files matching "beta" > ("beta" gnus-encrypt-xor "Semi-Secret")) See attached new version, I think that's OK now. So test the internal gnus-encrypt.el functions again, and if they work OK for you I'll add them to netrc.el so they're used automatically (based on the gnus-encrupt-file-alist contents). Ted