* Documentation for expiry target in group customize
@ 2003-04-07 10:59 Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2003-04-07 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

When customizing a group, the following text is shown for
Expiry Target:

  [X] Expiry Target: [Value Menu] nnmail-fancy-expiry-target
  Where expired messages end up. [Hide]

  Overrides `nnmail-expiry-target', which see.

I might be daft, but I can't make sense of that last
sentence. Is it correct?

Niklas

* Re: Documentation for expiry target in group customize
@ 2003-04-07 14:27 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-07 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> When customizing a group, the following text is shown for
> Expiry Target:
>
>   [X] Expiry Target: [Value Menu] nnmail-fancy-expiry-target
>   Where expired messages end up. [Hide]
>
>   Overrides `nnmail-expiry-target', which see.
>
> I might be daft, but I can't make sense of that last
> sentence. Is it correct?

When you customize the group, you set the group parameters.  The
variable nnmail-expiry-target takes effect for all groups that don't
have such a parameter.  Type C-h v nnmail-expiry-target RET for the
documentation of that variable.

(Isn't the variable name clickable?)

* Re: Documentation for expiry target in group customize
@ 2003-04-08  7:12   ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2003-04-08  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:
>
>>   Overrides `nnmail-expiry-target', which see.
>>
>> I might be daft, but I can't make sense of that last
>> sentence. Is it correct?
>
> When you customize the group, you set the group parameters.  The
> variable nnmail-expiry-target takes effect for all groups that don't
> have such a parameter.  Type C-h v nnmail-expiry-target RET for the
> documentation of that variable.

I understand what the parameter does, it's just that I can't
make sense of the sentence in the documentation. What does
"which see" mean? English is not my native language, but I
speak it well (or so I thought :).

> (Isn't the variable name clickable?)

Sure.

@ 2003-04-08 10:11     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-08 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> I understand what the parameter does, it's just that I can't
> make sense of the sentence in the documentation. What does
> "which see" mean? English is not my native language, but I
> speak it well (or so I thought :).

The sentence "Overrides `nnmail-expiry-target', which see." is
shorthand for "Overrides `nnmail-expiry-target'.  See
`nnmail-expiry-target' for more information.".

I think it's encyclopedia-speak or dictionary-speak which are wont to
use somewhat strange constructions in the interest of brevity.

"Which" is supposed to be a relexive pronoun in that sentence, I
think.

German dictionaries would usually write something like "Overrides -->
`nnmail-expiry-target'." with the understanding that the arrow means
you're supposed to look there for more information.

* Re: Documentation for expiry target in group customize
@ 2003-04-08 11:51       ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-04-08 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> The sentence "Overrides `nnmail-expiry-target', which see." is
> shorthand for "Overrides `nnmail-expiry-target'.  See
> `nnmail-expiry-target' for more information.".
>
> I think it's encyclopedia-speak or dictionary-speak which are wont to
> use somewhat strange constructions in the interest of brevity.

It's also often written as »q.v.« (quod vide):

     "Overrides `nnmail-expiry-target' (q.v.)"

* Re: Documentation for expiry target in group customize
@ 2003-04-08 14:09         ` Mike Woolley
From: Mike Woolley @ 2003-04-08 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> I think it's encyclopedia-speak or dictionary-speak which are wont to
>> use somewhat strange constructions in the interest of brevity.
>
> It's also often written as »q.v.« (quod vide):
>
>      "Overrides `nnmail-expiry-target' (q.v.)"

"which see" makes no sense in English :-)

English Dictionaries /et al/ use "q.v.", as Jesper indicates...

Cheers,
Mike

* Re: Documentation for expiry target in group customize
@ 2003-04-09 16:55           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-04-09 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003, mike@ariel.co.uk wrote:
> "which see" makes no sense in English :-)

Agreed, I don't like that construct.

> English Dictionaries /et al/ use "q.v.", as Jesper indicates...

What's wrong with omitting that whole expression?  It's redundant and
unnecesarily repetitive.

"Overrides `nnmail-expiry-target'."

As long as `nnmail-expiry-target' can be followed as a link in some
way (click in a X window, hit a key in a terminal) to its explanation,
there's no need for extraneous language there.  In fact, such language
serves no purpose other than being confusing, since users today are
familiar with the concept of reference links.

Ted

* Re: Documentation for expiry target in group customize
@ 2003-04-12 21:42             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-12 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>> "which see" makes no sense in English :-)
>
> Agreed, I don't like that construct.

Gnus is now a "which see"-free zone.