* Spam.el: Train in ham?
@ 2004-04-16 11:40 Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2004-04-16 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I probably have missed something; but I've just started to use spam.el
according to previous emails and found a problem. How do I tell
spam.el to register all my non-spam messages in my non-spam groups as
ham?

I added (spam-contents gnus-group-spam-classification-ham) to the top
email topic and I have (: spam-split) in the beginning of the
fancy-split-rules (is this a Bad Idea?). When I do B t on my own
emails to the Ding list it will say "Spam".

I cannot find a way of telling spam.el to process a specific set of
emails and register them as ham.

Currently, all mail I receive is considered spam, which is not very
nice. ;-)

BTW, is it already possible or WIBNI one could set
ham-process-destination to 'respool or something like that and have
the email respooled instead of moving it to the main mail box?

--
(        http://hem.bredband.net/steverud/        !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )

* Re: Spam.el: Train in ham?
@ 2004-04-16 13:06 ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2004-04-16 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <tvrud@bredband.net> writes:

> I probably have missed something; but I've just started to use spam.el
> according to previous emails and found a problem. How do I tell
> spam.el to register all my non-spam messages in my non-spam groups as
> ham?

I had to (temporary) add gnus-expirable-mark and gnus-ancient-mark to
ham-marks.

And I did customize the topic parameter for spam-process instead of
writing my own. The topic parameters for the top level email topic is
now
((spam-contents gnus-group-spam-classification-ham)
 (spam-process
  ((spam spam-use-bogofilter)
   (ham spam-use-bogofilter)))
 (spam-process-destination)
 (ham-marks
  (gnus-del-mark gnus-read-mark gnus-killed-mark gnus-kill-file-mark gnus-low-score-mark gnus-expirable-mark gnus-ancient-mark)))

Sorry.

(The question about respooling is still "up", though. :-) )

--

@ 2004-04-16 15:00 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-04-16 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, tvrud@bredband.net wrote:
> I probably have missed something; but I've just started to use
> spam.el according to previous emails and found a problem. How do I
> tell spam.el to register all my non-spam messages in my non-spam
> groups as ham?

Batch training is something I will add to spam.el eventually, but
right now is not available.

It should be pretty easy to do, though.

> I added (spam-contents gnus-group-spam-classification-ham) to the
> top email topic and I have (: spam-split) in the beginning of the
> fancy-split-rules (is this a Bad Idea?).

Not necessarily, but it will override all other rules.  I specify
specific spam checks, the more permissive ones early and the more
restrictive ones later.

Note that it's OK to have all your groups be unclassified.

> Currently, all mail I receive is considered spam, which is not very
> nice. ;-)

I'm not sure why that is, is your mail group a spam group?

> BTW, is it already possible or WIBNI one could set
> ham-process-destination to 'respool or something like that and have
> the email respooled instead of moving it to the main mail box?

It's already possible, with that exact syntax.  It should work.

If you're curious for more, you can do `G c' on a group or topic and
explore all the spam-related options.

Ted

* Re: Spam.el: Train in ham?
@ 2004-04-16 15:13   ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2004-04-16 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, tvrud@bredband.net wrote:
>> I probably have missed something; but I've just started to use
>> spam.el according to previous emails and found a problem. How do I
>> tell spam.el to register all my non-spam messages in my non-spam
>> groups as ham?
>
> Batch training is something I will add to spam.el eventually, but
> right now is not available.

OK, it was not batch training I was looking for specifically, it was
any kind of training. Expiable and ancient articles is not sent
through training and since there isn't any "take this article (which
is in a unclassified or ham group) and train it as ham" AFAICT I was a
bit confused.

As I said in an earlier email, adding expired and ancient marks to
ham-marks made it possible to "batch train" bogofilter.

I consider this problem solved but I think there is a feature or a
change of docs that is lacking. I will give any changes to the docs a
thought of how this can be made better.

>> Currently, all mail I receive is considered spam, which is not very
>> nice. ;-)
>
> I'm not sure why that is, is your mail group a spam group?

This was because I've trained bogofilter on spam but not on ham. That
made it very easy to make it match the spam database.

Once I had started to train on ham it was no longer a problem.

>> BTW, is it already possible or WIBNI one could set
>> ham-process-destination to 'respool or something like that and have
>> the email respooled instead of moving it to the main mail box?
>
> It's already possible, with that exact syntax.  It should work.

Ooh. Nice. I asked since I couldn't find anything about it in the docs.

Thanks. :-)

--

@ 2004-04-16 18:58     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-04-16 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, tvrud@bredband.net wrote:
> Expiable and ancient articles is not sent through training and since
> there isn't any "take this article (which is in a unclassified or
> ham group) and train it as ham" AFAICT I was a bit confused.

Right now, spam.el aims to be proactive, doing the right thing at the
right time.  What you describe is reactive behavior (reacting to a
command), which is not a bad thing, just inconsistent with how spam.el
operates otherwise.

I'll think about how to reconcile these two operating modes.

> Ooh. Nice. I asked since I couldn't find anything about it in the
> docs.

Yeah, 'respool and a bunch of other things need to be updated in the
docs, plus there are other problems as you observed.

Ted